Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am in process of restoring my 1968 Mustang Fastback GT S-code with a wide ratio toploader (RUG-M2). The build date of my mustang is 01/11/1968. I am in search for the correct carb and distributor for my 390 (C7ME-A). I have a few novice questions I was hoping someone can help me out with:

1. Since my FB is an early '68 production vehicle, do I search for '67 or '68 parts?

2. The data plate and VIN shows my FB was built in San Jose and was ordered for Los Angeles (DSO 71). However, my Marti report shows a Salt Lake City DSO (73). Could my FB had been a dealer trade? If so, do I locate a carb with CA emissions?

3. Which Casting number carb and distributor is correct for my vehicle?
Holley 4150: C70F-9510-A
C70F-9510-C (with CA emissions)
C80F-9510-C

Distributor: C70F-1217-F
C70F-1217-G
C70F-1217-D

4. Should I also locate a 390 Thermactor emissions system for my engine?

I am looking to have my drivetrain as close to numbers matching as possible. Thank you in advance for everyone's input. Have a great weekend!

Best Regards,
Ed

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
Your car isn't even within a country mile of "early". Ford started building 68 Mustangs in August of 1967.

A 68 390GT 4-speed would probably have C8OF-9510-C and C8OF-12127-D.

All 68 390GT engines had the Thermactor Emission system. Sorry. Cha-ching.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah 22Gt is right. Your car is mid-year production typically but there was a strike in 67 between mid Sept to mid November where all ford plants were down. Serious production started after the strike. Unless you can prove your car went overseas or down to mexico to a dealer for sale it had thermactor which is the same as for a 428 and 428 CJ. Big bucks. Recently saw an original system for 1300 which was way cheap. The distributor your looking for is minimum 500 for a core and 800 done. I have a carb but its for a C6. The part numbers which were posted are correct. Other big buck parts are radiators, original fans with clutch. Regretfully 390's shared many parts with the CJ which has driven the prices strato.

·
Registered
26 Posts
By the way since your out in california i urge you to stay away from a crook named Big Block George. I think he's in the bay area. Took me for big money and sent me useless junk. Then the scumbag wanted me to send him another grand for a fully machined block. The supposedly mag'd block had three heat cracks in it. A year later and all I have is a 250 lbs paperweight I'm saving for the lawyers. He lists on this site and also on Ebay as Crownhunter and Mystuff. Stay away from this sleezeball. Worthless scum of the earth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you v159hill for the Mansfield restoration referral.

Thanks Big Red for your input! It is never a good situation when individuals take advantage of others and provide bad customer service. I hope everything works out in your favor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which Carb and Dizzy date codes are period correct for my 01/11/68 build date Mustang?:

Carburetor: C8OF-9510-C, _ _ _?

Distributor: C8OF-12127-D, _ _ _?

Thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have the correct carb number all you really need is a date code of 811. That number is usually the one you find and it means it was made by holly the first week of January 1968. Since your car is a mid january it would be perfect. Regarding the distributor rebuild there is a gentleman out of wheatfield indiana, Tim O'Conner who rebuilds and can recurve your distributor. I believe he has posted on the Concourse Mustang Forum site in the "Services" section, look for Distributor rebuilding service. Great guy, very fair with pricing and turned it around very quickly. A man of his word.

Don't let the numbers and date code on a distributor hold your engine build up. Just get a good core distributor for a 390 as cheap as you can for now. Have Tim rebuild it and set it up to match the specs of the C8OF-12127-D. The car won't know the difference, only you will know the numbers are off. If you run across the one with the right numbers then just pick it up. If not well at least you wont be sitting around waiting for the distributor at the right price. By the way since you have a 4 speed you need the vacume advance with the double ports. Those can be a challange to find working. the diaphrams like to go on them. I think Tim can fix that though.

That crook Bib Block George aka George Lanoue will get what is coming to him. Soon I will make him sweat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems Bill at Mansfield Mustang is a great resource. I will certainly contact him for information and parts. Thanks Big Red......Now I know exactly which carburetor to look for. Let the search begin!

·
Registered
116 Posts
C8OF-C Carb

+1 for Bill as well. I've purchased a number of parts from him and have always been happy with my dealings and his catalog is great for research.

When looking for your carb try to hold out for one with the correct metering blocks. I had to piece mine together and it took me months to track them down and ended up costing me more that it probably should have in the long run. See below.

Ford and Mustang holley 4150 carburetors

Another great site is the FE Forum. Great info and classifieds to find hard to locate parts.

FordFE.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts