Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be the stupid question of the day but here goes. If a mustang was built in San Jose but had a DSO from the state of Washington would it have a California carb or a 49 state carb?
Thank you
David Charlier

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
What year car? What engine?

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
I'm guessing it would not have the emmissions stuff. My 68 was built in Jersy with a DSO of Washington DC, but has emmisions stuff. I've talked to a few people and the only explaination is that the car was originally slated for CA but got diverted at the last minute. Does not make a lot of sense to me to ship a car from Jersy to CA???
Dave

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Your car would likely have come from the factory with a "49 state" carb if it was a 67 or earlier. Many of the western states got San Jose built cars, but only California needed the smog carb (66 and later). Make sense?
Daniel

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
It probably is a 49 State version. San Jose built cars for the western half of the US, and most of California (there actually were a few Dearborn cars shipped to CA for some reason!). If it had a DSO outside of Cali, then it is highly likely not to be a Cali smogged version.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts