Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking to find the correct replacement carb for my 1966 289 auto GT with AC. I need a C6ZF-b. I found one with the correct tag but wonder what the casting date should be in the carb itself? I want the tag and the carb body to be correct for a car that was sold in Sept '65.
Thanks for any tips!
-Scott

·
Registered
553 Posts
It would be several months earlier. I've found these are a little more "loose" as far as dates go, so I'd find it passable to have anything in a 1-5 month earlier than production than the car. I'd also not get too bent out of shape about it, as you literally have to pull the thing off to see the date on the bottom of the body. If it's the right engineering number for your application and has the right tag, you're golden. My '66 with Dec. 65 build date had an August, '65 date on the carb.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hello, I'm looking to find the correct replacement carb for my 1966 289 auto GT with AC. I need a C6ZF-b. I found one with the correct tag but wonder what the casting date should be in the carb itself? I want the tag and the carb body to be correct for a car that was sold in Sept '65.
Thanks for any tips!
-Scott
Sold in September '65 or scheduled build date of Sept '65?

It would be several months earlier. I've found these are a little more "loose" as far as dates go, so I'd find it passable to have anything in a 1-5 month earlier than production than the car. I'd also not get too bent out of shape about it, as you literally have to pull the thing off to see the date on the bottom of the body. If it's the right engineering number for your application and has the right tag, you're golden. My '66 with Dec. 65 build date had an August, '65 date on the carb.
I would not generalize the bottom mold date to a time-frame. When the molds run their lifespan they are replaced. Most all 1965 production, C5ZF-, 1.08 aluminum bodies have a 7-xx-1964 or 9-xx-1964 mold date for example. When those '64 molds ran their lifespan the '65 mold dates began being used. The C6ZF-C 1.12 HiPo service replacements for extreme example used a 1963 mold date, 6 years earlier than the tags.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts