Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, need a new battery for my 66 200 I6. I'm concerned about getting a battery that is too powerful and will fry my wires though. The battery I pulled out of it is 460 cold cranking amps. The lowest I can find in stores is 525. Would it be safe to put it in?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
A battery wont fry wires neither with a new alternator. now if you put something new in like lights or a cd deck and changer,sub,amp all that. it will pull alot more power and that frys wire. With my car i like using as many relays as i can(fan,fuel pump, lights, sub and amp) witch uses the old wire like a switch and uses new bigger wire to pull the voltage.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,232 Posts
The more cold cranking amps, the better I say. We currently have 6 Fords, none have less than a 900 cca battery. I've even got a 1000 rated battery literally wedged into SWMBO's Mustang. I figure that if she has a problem, that extra capacity might be enough to make a difference.
I onced owned a car (non-Ford)that took only a small battery. On occaison it didn't want to start when hot. You got 6 tries at starting it, then out came the jumper cables. I've been a firm believer in BIG batteries ever since.
In your case, you should be more concerned with the new battery fitting in your car correctly. If you have a choice in CCA, get the most you are willing to pay for. You don't really need an overkill 1000CCA battery and neither do I really. I'm just an overkill kind of guy.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Agree completely! The bigger the better :: I just put a much bigger battery in the 66/289 than the po had in it a year ago. It does help starting when very hot after a long trip! You know you have enough juice to get it rolling again! :: Have also notice over the years, that a bigger battery seems to last alot longer than a "whimpy" one ;)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
just because the battery can put out 1000 cold cranking amps, doesn't mean that you are going to have 1000 amps going through your wires at all times, that is just the maximum power that the battery can put out when it is cold (ie, when you are trying to start your turbo diesel and it is -8*f outside, and the oil has aproximatly the same viscosity as glass...) when it is 70* and sunny, the battery can put out more than 1000 amps (or whatever it is rated at).

same deal with the alternator, if you get a 150 amp alternator, its not going to put out 150 amps all the time, but it is capable of putting out 150 amps if the demand is there, unlike the 80 amp unit. in short, if you are drawing 30 amps from your alternator, it doesn't matter if you have a 30 amp alternator, an 80 amp alternator or a 150 amp alternator, they are all going to put out 30 amps. same deal with the battery.

where you start to run into trouble with the electrical system is when you add higher-load devices, such as a big cd player, fog lamps, etc. thoes (sometimes) draw a higher amperage than your wiring can handle, thus causing problems.

hope i cleared it up for you, feal free to pm me with any questions

- Jason

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
capacity of battery for cold cranking could be mega amps and you can't damage anything. current drawn is dependent upon load of starter motor and capacity only determines if capacity is enough to crank it. many batteries used in our street cars have 500 to 700 CCAs while marine batteries and other special batteries have other characteristics such as deep discharge etc..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts