Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Correct color for the interior side of the trap door and surrounding mouldings on a 70

361 7
note sure if i have to paint these black or interior color

what is correct for the factory way

magazine and net pics are all over the place with colors
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
What color is your interior?

·
4,772 Posts
On my 69 Shelby/Mach 1, I have a white interior, and my trap and surround are all black. The hocky sticks are white but the panels under them are black. I believe this to be the same on a 70 and if in doubt, would check over at ConcoursMustang Forums - Index
Hood Flag of the united states Flag Wood Window

·
4,772 Posts
Followup after looking over at ConcoursMustang Forums - Index

Quotes from Jeff Speegle
"Trap door would be dark charcoal metallic like the interior panels as a start though Ford referred to the interior as black."

"rear quarter trim panels, for fold down all rear interior panels and trap door."

"Basically all of the painted panels in your car should be Dark Charcoal Metallic - what Ford called Black that year in Mustangs"

Note that the interior quarters (the fiberglass parts on each side of the rear seat) are not painted by the factory, so they would not all be painted black or be charcoal metallic. I have seen these panels in black, and white. Not sure if they were made in other colors depending on the interior color. Mine are white.

edit: I did not get points off in an MCA judged show for my interior so it must be correct?

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

2nd edit: links:

·
Registered
150 Posts
69GT, I posted several questions over on that forum and Jeff was able to answer them all as I also have a white interior in my 70 Mach 1. He suggested to paint it just as yours is and it would be considered correct. Nice car by the way, would love to see a complete exterior pic if you have one.

·
4,772 Posts
69GT, I posted several questions over on that forum and Jeff was able to answer them all as I also have a white interior in my 70 Mach 1. He suggested to paint it just as yours is and it would be considered correct. Nice car by the way, would love to see a complete exterior pic if you have one.
I've got a few photos posted in my build gallery. 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx all.
im always a day late and a dollar short
I painted it to match the rest if the interior
looks good enough to me. I Like it anyways

now just have to work on the seatbelts one day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thx all.
im always a day late and a dollar short
I painted it to match the rest if the interior
Confused by your post. Your car has green interior???

If so you kind of mislead everyone with asking about painting black or white in your first post and not providing that your car had green interior. :rolleyes:

All the rear interior panels were painted like the other forward interior panel if your car was green, ginger or blue on a fold down 70. Original example below

1 - 8 of 8 Posts