Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow Mustang enthusiasts,
I am in the process of a complete restoration of a 1966 Mustang convertible. The car has been stripped down to a bare body shell and awaiting its turn in the stripper dunk tank. When it comes out the body will be dipped into a neutralizer tank and then sprayed with a solution to prevent surface rust as the body work is completed before paint. I want to preserve the integrity of the car and do things the correct way. So my question is, what is the factory correct underside treatment of the body in regards to product, color and sheen ?

·
Premium Member
6,640 Posts
You will more than likely get more than one differing answer and they could all be correct as different plants and different days even could have gotten different color.

If you get a chance, post the plant the car came from and also search on ConcoursMustang.com to try and figure out what your car may have had for paint underneath.

My Metuchen 66 GT didn't have hardly any paint at all on the underside and it's just presumed they ran out of paint (I think it was an automatic sprayer for the underside paint). In my research, I found a car very close to the same sequential VIN that also did not get painted.

Good luck in your search...

Allen

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Red oxide is correct, but not Advance Auto spray can red oxide. The correct red oxide is a salmon color. Do your homework and look for original examples to replicate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Red oxide epoxy primer sealer - has a light shine. Its not just a red oxide primer and was not flat in the final look or finish

Tint and tone will depend on when it was at the San Jose. Two different versions (different sources for each in the plant)were applied to each car. One from approx firewall rearward and another applied by hand to the surfaces (from below) firewall forward. As mentioned we got a fair number of threads on the subject with examples on the ConcoursMustang.com forum as well as how to's and articles

OF course there is a ton of related issues and things to remember if your attempting to reproduce the original look. Easy to get things backwards in order or copy something incorrect posted in a magazine or on the internet

Good luck with your project

1 - 7 of 7 Posts