Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did (or did) Shelby refinish the axle mounting tabs on override cars when the original tabs were cut off and moved inside the frame rails? Did they leave the cut outside the frame 'raw' or shoot some paint on it? What color? After they moved the tabs inboard, did they repaint them?

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
the 65's and the left over 65's that were convertered into 66's had the over rider bars. But since these were installed at Shelby American, I'm a little confused as to why you are asking that they cut them off to move them. These are the ones that go into the interior compartment, right?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not being clear in my original post. I'm refering to the axle bumper tabs welded to the frame on either side in the rear. On 65-66 Mustangs, they are mounted outside (toward the wheel) of the frame. On Shelbys with override bars, the tabs were cut off and moved inside the frame because they interfered with the override bars. Looks like they were cut with a torch but I could be wrong, but not a pretty, smooth cut. Very rough. So, my question is was the area they were cut from just left as is with a raw cut, or was it painted? If painted, what color? When the tabs were relocated, were they repainted to cover the cut end?

BTW There were other 66 Shelbys other than the 252 leftover cars that came through with override bars. Most of the first 400 cars had them. Mine (383) has them..

·
Registered
832 Posts
John, This is a photo of an early 66 with O.R. bars Please e mail me if you need more info.
http://home.comcast.net/~eljimb0/webphoto/65snubber.jpg
also note that the "tabs" are not relocated. The old bracket got hacked off with a torch and the new tab is a shelby piece.
jimbo

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jimbo, that is exactly what mine looks like, although someone sprayed alittle black paint on the 'new' bracket. So for a Concours restoration the original bracket would be painted oxide red on the outside but the cut area would be natural as a result of the torch? I'd also guess that the inside of the original bracket would be natural as it would not have been exposed to the oxide undercoating. My 'new' tab also looks like there's a 'folded' or extra piece between it and the frame. Think they welded it on then shot it with red oxide? BTW, what # car is pictured?

·
Registered
832 Posts
The car is number (X) I didn't get the owners ok for the picture. It was a spy photo taken during a show. I general I have found shelby owners to be reluctant to share the specific details about thier cars. There is this big concern that if the great unwashed tribe of the clones find out about the true magic of C.S.. Their universe might implode.
On the other hand I would guess decent clones now out number real cars by 5 to 1. Paint jobs about 20 to 1
jimbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts