Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently rebuilding the engine in my 66 GT convertible and I am trying to find out what is the correct color of blue for the engine block, valve covers & air cleaner, etc... The current paint is the light Ford blue but several people have said that the dark Ford blue is correct. I have seen pictures with both the light and the dark blue. I have also searched the web without any definite answer. Which one is "correct" or are they both O.K.? I would really like to "do it right" while the engine is OUT of the vehicle. Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Mike J.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
ALL 1966 Ford engines were the (dark) Ford Corporate Blue.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Ouch. This is kinda tuff to say, but THE BEST restorer I've ever known (Jay Cockrum of West Coast Restoration) swears that it was a "66 only" thing to be painted light blue. If Jay is wrong, he is going to kill me for this post.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The light blue is ONLY correct for the valve covers and air cleaner of SOME 64.5 260s. Not even all of those - some got gold instead.

Every Mustang engine from 1966 on was Ford Dark Corporate Blue.

Hopefully, a show judge will chime in...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
hate to tell you, but your guy is dead wrong. if you have access, you can get a definative answer in the pages of the Robert Mannel book. Sorry Jay /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well, I didn't intend to start anything: guess I'll have to tell Jay to call back the owners of those 66 Shelby Gold Card winners (he has restored 5 Shelby's, all Gold winners) and repaint those motors. *G*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts