Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have located a 289 block with a 5D22 date code. (4/22/65)
The block has a cast# of C5AE-6015E

The convertible that I am restoring has a build date of G15 (7/15/65)

Is this within the acceptable date range to be considered "numbers matching"? Is there any hard and fast rule other than it should be prior to the build date of the car?

Thanks all.

Eric

G

·
I would consider it not correct. Typically we see the engines with codes dating back to a month or less before the build date of the car. I suppose in rare case we might see one more than a month.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
The date code on the block has nothing to do with being a numbers matching car. Numbers Matching means the VIN. # of the car is stamped into the block, meaning the car has it's original, since day one block in the car. Of course the block casting date will be a bit older than the build date of the car. In that regaurd your fine.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I personally would look suspiciously at it if someone were trying to pass off that engine as the original... in my 66, the date difference between engine casting and build date was less than a month. Assuming that you'd never try to do that anyway, I think it's fine to put that engine block in your vehicle.

Steve

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps "numbers matching" is not the correct term to use.
I am looking for a block that is within the correct date range to be considered appropriate for the car.

And no, I am not trying to pass it off as original. This is a car that I am restoring for myself anyway, not to sell.

Thanks.

Eric

G

·
On non-hi-performance cars, date codes are all we have to go by. If the date codes on the motor are within a month or so of the production date of the car, it is considered "correct", but not numbers matching.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I would not think that a three month gap would be appropriate... that is, I think there is only an extremely small chance that this block would have been sitting around long enough to potentially have originally been installed in your car. If that's important to you for some reason, look for a block with a casting time of 3-4 weeks previous to assembly date. But then, all the other parts (carb, etc.) should have date markings very similar to that date. Good luck.

Personally, I'd use the block if it's good.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Where is the VIN# stamped on the block of my 68 289? I was told it was the original engine. This was only proved to be 'probable', by the date codes on the heads. (i think is was the heads...)

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
So are you saying the term 'numbers matching' applies only to the hi-po cars?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
It can still apply to other cars, but then it only means the VINs stamped in various locations. And all casting date codes should be reasonable, of course.

G

·
Starting with the 68 model year all engines had partial VINs stamped into the block (the last 5 digits - part of the consecutive unit number). Facing the engine, look on the right side of the block just below the cylinder head. You may have to look closely because the stampings weren't always perfect. A "numbers matching" 68-up car would have to have the vehicle VIN stamped into the block. Charles Turner or Jeff Speegle could correct this but I believe starting in 69 they also started to put partial VINs on transmissions too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Would a 5E19 cast date fall within the range for this G15 car?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts