Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm the correct part numbers for a standard 289 (no a/c, p/s) for '65 and '66? I have one number from the '66 assembly manual; C6OE-8600-B. I'm not sure if the '65 p/n would be a simple change to C5OE-8600-B.

The big block fan, C6AE-8600-B, and the 200 6cyl fan, C2OA-8600-A, appear very similar. I don't have any 200 stuff anymore. The fan that came on my car was replaced with a clutch fan assy when a PO installed (poorly!), and a/c unit. I don't have one to visually compare either! :(

Are there alternate part numbers for '65 or '66, that would also apply? Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
This info was gleened from June '06 Mustang Monthly article on "How to choose a cooling fan". The list of fan part numbers has five listed for 289s. The article mentions that A/C cars have 5 or 7 bladed fans. So, once I subtract the 5 & 7 bladed fans & one Hi-po ( 4 blade ) fan pn -- there is only one 4 bladed fan pn left -- C2OA-8600B.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dean. Before I got home today, I started thinking, hmmmmm, I wonder if those were accurate part numbers or engineering numbers?

I appreciate you looking up the article. I used to subscribe to MM. I've kept every issue from 1982-2000, plus bought some which had been out prior to my subscription. After Dobbs Publishing sold out, I disliked their new content and direction. Needless to say, I don't have any 2006 issues. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
John, I have scanned & e-mailed fan blade chart to you -- Dean

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
See the fan blade parts section from the Ford Manual. The image shows up small on here, but if you right click your mouse over the image and save it to your hard drive, you will then be able to open it to read it better.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa116/INMustang/FanBlades.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Cruise be aware that the MPC does not always show what Ford installed originally but what Ford carried (at the time the catalog was printed - likely 72 or 75) at the time that would work

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have noticed that on a few occasions, but not many. For the most part, the 1975 parts book is pretty good. But as you say, there are some things with different part numbers than what was installed at the factory.

Know where I can get a copy of the 1970 book?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Cruise said:
Know where I can get a copy of the 1970 book?
They show up on EBay from time to time.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Do you have a ballpark dollar range that they sell for?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I am terrible at setting/guessing values so simply ignore the following. I would expect that one would bring $200-350 for a complete copy

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. Sorry it took me this long to say that!

To kinda put the thread back on track, anyone know what a C6OX-8600-A fan fits? I haven't been able to locate it in any application listings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts