Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the correct fender bolts for a 65 built in SanJose? I always see the star washer ones being used but my car is original paint and it had a round washer bolt being used?? Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
You do see a lot of the San Jose cars originally using the SEMS round washer fender bolts, both clear cad plated and phosphate/oil. I've seen the star washer bolts used also, but the round washers seem more typical.

·
Registered
184 Posts
When was yours built? I have a Jan 20 San Jose C-Code. It is basically unmolested. I had the fenders off once, and I think I got the bolts in the same way. I can send photos if you want. PM me with your email address.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a early year 65 and original paint. From the paint markings it looks like all the fender bolts are SEMS (or round washer) except one bolt was a STAR washer bolt? Seems odd they would mix them up but it was original and unmolested when I tore it down?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just looked at photos of my 65, and all but the rear most bolt are round. The last one, by the cowl is a star. These may have been put in by someone else or at an earlier/later time. Maybe the star washer bolts were put in first by the crew that aligned the panels, then the round ones were driven in later on the line. Mine is an Ivy Gold early 65, and has been repainted only once. The bolts were not painted and I can see the original washer indentations, so I know they are in teh original spots.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting as mine had the star washers at the same two rear locations and round for the rest. I like your story and I'm going with it! Probably installed at different spots along the line.

Do your round washer bolts have SEMS or DIDDO markings? Mine had DIDDOS but from what I have read DIDOS didnt come along till 66?

JOhn

·
Registered
108 Posts
The combination of flat washers and star washers continued for the '66 model year also. A recent issue of MUSTANG MAGAZINE shows an unrestored '66 with a combination of both washers. This particular car was a Dearborn car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
From my understanding and looking at my Oct 64 built SJ fastbacl there were actually about 4 different bolt heads that could appear on the car. All of my bolts have the star washer on them. Below is a link to Charles Turner's K code blog and you can see the different bolt heads on his car which was built in Jan/Feb of 65

1965 K Mustang Convertible Restoration: August 2009

·
Registered
184 Posts
John,
My round washer bolts are marked SEMS in the center. If your car is an early 654, like mine, and from San Jose, it will probably be the same. Mine is Jan 20 (I think) and has lots of the 64 stuff on it (door handles, heater fan swiutch, spare hold-down, hood bumpers).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts