Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MCA rules state that the jack assembly and lug wrench for 64-66 Mustangs should be "original style and finish with proper decal". What is the proper finish? Semi-gloss black on both the jack and the lug wrench? Or should the lug wrench be natural?

Thanks...Tom

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
As mentioned the jack is semi-gloss black but no all of it. The adjusting screw is phosphate which the two washers and the nylon washer are left unpainted

If you have the later 66 lug wrench it is completely semi-gloss black

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
So for '66, I gues either is acceptable for a mid-year car..

You guys left out the oprtional Lug Nut Rachet wrench (Looks like a big Socket wrench, but only for lug nuts)... That was silved cad plated I believe..At least mine looks that way.. It's an original, I think that they repro that as well now the last few years, but not every vendor carries them. A nice addition to the trunk.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
PS: That's Silver Cad.. Sorry for the typo..

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
NEFaurora said:
You guys left out the oprtional Lug Nut Rachet wrench (Looks like a big Socket wrench, but only for lug nuts)... ...........

IF you noticed above C7ZZ mentioned it and the finish

When did that lug wrench become "optional"? How much did that option cost?

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
"When did that lug wrench become "optional"? How much did that option cost?"

Jeff,

I think that there's some confusion here..

...Not the lug wrench, That came with all cars,

I'm talking about the cad plated "socket rachet" that was used in place instead of the lug wrench on the jack. I always though that was an over the counter dealer option. That didn't come with all cars did it?????? Can you clear this up...?

I've seen very few cars with originals over the years. I've always wondered.

Thanks,

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Then again, Maybe, A picture is worth a thousand words...

Standard '65/'66 Jack Lug Wrench (came on all cars supposedly?)

Deluxe '65/'66 Jack Lug Rachet Wrench (Optional ???? / Dealer Option???)

Jeff, What's the verdict..?? This should make it alot clearer!

Thanks buddy,

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Charles? :shrug:

·
Registered
813 Posts
The jack you show as "standard" is in truth a replacement. I think this was what you would have purchased had you gone to your neighborhood Ford dealer in the seventies and ordered a lug wrench for your 65 Mustang. This same part, or one very much like it, was standard equipment in later Mustangs, but was never an assembly line part for the 65 or 66 production cars.
The images you have shown as "optional " are in truth the original lug wrenches for a 64 and 66 Mustang. There are some variations in the details of these but all have the same general appearance. They were really not much good and many were tossed in anger beside the road when one was unfortunate enough to have a flat. There is a lot of information about the details of these correct ratchet jacks on the net if you search. They are interesting to study and certainly neccessary for a correct restoration (and also reproduced) but pretty much just an artifact of a bygone era and I would hate to change a tire with one now.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
So you are saying that the first one pictured is a Ford replacement part?

I don't know if I buy that one yet.

I want to see what our MCA judges have to say...

Where are they? lol......

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Tony,

Maybe you should check John Murphy's resume and posts on this forum before you call him out. He's probably forgotten more about the details on these cars than you'll ever know.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Ivygreen, I asked a simple question, What is your problem?

If you wish to drop insults and start flaming, You don't belong here on the VMF.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
NEFaurora said:
Ivygreen, I asked a simple question
And you got a clear and correct answer

NEFaurora said:
What is your problem?
The fact that you got a correct answer from a member on this forum who is very knowledgable, has had his cars covered in several magazine articles, and continually provides valuable information to this forum, yet his answer isn't good enough for you.

NEFaurora said:
If you wish to drop insults and start flaming
Where is the insult or flame? I've read John's posts on this forum for years and I've read yours since you've joined. I'll stick with what I stated.

NEFaurora said:
You don't belong here on the VMF.
Maybe not. But, if we're going to boot people for the quality of their posts, I may not be the only one voted off the island.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
You always seem to have a definite "Attitude" problem.

You make it obvious with each post. Need I say more..

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'll pipe in since I've done just a little research on jacks.

First off the lug wrenches, murph is correct. The handle in the second pic is actually an early version of the ratchet handle with the open handle. There were two ratchet handle versions that I've seen, the early 65 had an open handle, which was very uncomfortable to use, so the later ones had a rolled handle.

As was stated, the ratchets didn't work well, so replacements were obtained for many cars. The handle in the first pic above is actually a recent reproduction and is NOT correct for a car that had a flip handle in the early cars. The lug wrenches being sold today are acutally more correct for cars later than January of 1967 instead of the early cars. I've not done as much research on the handles as the jacks, but here is a list of what I have observed in my jack research.

1) Early 1965 cars, 6 cylinder, 13 inch cars had 3/4 inch lug nuts (still working on verifying this) and thus have a different lug wrench.

2) Early 1965 ratchet style lug wrenches, open handle.

3) Later ratchet style lug wrench, closed handle.

4) 1966 flip style. The socket folds down into the handle. Since the 1966 cars mounted the handle under the tire, the wrench handle will not have a hole in it.

5) 1967 before January 1967 flip style. Socket does not fold down into the handle, still mounted under the tire, so no hole in handle.

6) 1967 after January 1967 flip style. Ford changed to mount the handle on the hold down on top of tire, so the handle would have been more like in the picture, with a hole in the handle.

7) I've seen at least two variations of the handle with the hole. The first hole is flat, seems to have been drilled after the wrench was formed. Other handles I've seen have an "ovaled" hole, where the hole was stamped when the handle was flat, then the handle was bent.

8) I've seen some other variations of the handles, ones that have the hook on the end to remove the hubcap, one that does not have the hook. I suspect that if you had the styled steel wheel options that did not have trim rings that the jack handle may not have had the hook. This has not be verified in any way yet, however, I have some that don't have the hook.

So, if anyone has an original car that they have the very highest confidence that the jack is original, please contact me, I'd love to get some pictures to veryify my research. Many of these cars DO NOT have the correct jacks and handles and many of the examples you see on e-bay that are advertised as correct are not.

I'm working on an article on Jacks, handles, jacking instructions and probably the hold downs, but life gets in the way and I've been slow getting it done.

Also on the article in the Mustang Monthly, it does not appear to be accurate, since the handle seems to be for a 1965 (open handle) and the article is about a 1966 car. Also, I suspect that the jacks is also not a 1966 jack, but I'd have to have closer inspection rather than the picture, but the long nut would indicate a later 1967 jack).

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Thanks! That's the data I needed.

I have another question on this subject..

What about tire irons?

Anything on those, Are they all the same?

Were they even included in '65/'66???

My other '68 to '70 all had them.

This question has come up before.

It's amazing on how many enigmas are just in the trunk alone. :p

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
I'm thinking now that the flat end of the rachet tip or flat end of the socket "flip-type" was used for hubcaps instead of a tire iron for '65/'66.. not necessatating the use of a tire iron..

Anyone know what years when tire irons wer used?..If any?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts