Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen pictures of gauge clusters for the 65 mustangs. Some have the standard 3 gauge w/ idiot lights (like what I have now) and some have the 5 gauge clusters. Are they both correct? Is there a way to tell by the VIN? I have my current cluster because I hate idiot lights...especially on old cars.

Any help would be great.

Slade

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Not so much the VIN, but the production date. The idiot light combo was standard on '65's. For GTs (produced later in the production run) and the interior decor group (woodgrain), you would get the gauge cluster.

If you have idiot lights, and hate them, you can put in a '66 dash with the gauges. I did it, it was pretty easy. I also opted for the '65 GT bezel as opposed to the '66 (even though it costs twice as much) so that it would be "correct". The instrument clusters themselves are the same.

So, the question is, does your car have Pony interior, or is it a GT? Or, more appropriately, are you going to build it that way?

There is a great site on the "how to" install '66 gauges. I'm sure someone will provide the link.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The 3 gauge cluster is correct for your car. The 5 gauge cluster were used starting in
66 year model or in the 65 GT models. You can convert your's to the 5 gauge. Here's
the website explaining how. HTTP://pwp.clearsource.net/dsigns/james/

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that the 3 gauge was correct, but was wondering if I would be completely off base by going with the 5 gauge. I thought about getting an aftermarket 3 gauge cluster to mount under the dash, but I'm not sure I like that combo but I may still go that route and figure out a way to hide them from the casual passerby (like my stereo).

Thanks for the info. My 65 was an early production date with standard interior. I'm not sure how I'm going to build it up right now.

Slade

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
People get all excited about idiot lights but fact is the sensors on modern Mustangs are nothing but a normally open switch. In the olden days they are a normally closed switch. Normally open drives the oil pressure guage to one position on the faceplate (ON) and it does not vary with changes in oil pressure. This is no different from an idiot light yet everyone is proud of their Cobra guage cluster! The fact is idiot lights command your attention immediately and guages don't! The only way I'd want (real) guages is if they're backed up with idiot lights. Call me an idiot if you like! Oh yes, jetliners have master caution lights all over the panel...pilots rely on them because they're a far better indication of failure than a guage only.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts