Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this seem right to you guys? I bought a new throwout bearing for my 72 Mustang w/ a truck bellhousing and not sure if this is the correct way to mount the throwout bearing. In fact, I am not even sure if this is the correct throwout bearing. The bearing that I removed did not have the clips like in the picture. It just had a lip and that bearing measured:

Id = 1.4in/34mm
OD = 2.9in/74mm
Fork OD side = 53.4mm/2.104in
Length = 1.64in/42mm

However, there is no telling that the one that was installed is the correct bearing.

Any ideas on where to begin? What kind of throwout bearing do I actually need for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Looks like a car release bearing on a truck release lever. I don't see how that can line up properly. The pivot points on the lever should be centered on the bearing.

How about a pic of the old one?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been looking into the Lakewood 15200 Bellhousing, but do they typically come with clutch forks or do I need to purchase one separately?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have never seen a fork like that before but with that said it worked before it will work again. Take your old bearing down to a good parts store and have them match it up. Buying a new bell housing and fork because you can't find a throw out bearing makes no sense to me. Get the parts you need. Don't spend money on parts you don't need.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
That is a FE big block bell housing and '66 - '77 F500 F600 F700 F800 truck clutch fork. I would never use that fork on my Mustang :lol:

:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Just ordered a Lakewood 15200 Bellhousing.

Where can I find the proper clutch fork and clutch release bearing? This will be going on a small block ford with a 4 speed toploader.

The entire clutch system on this car was hacked together so I rather not take chances using parts that aren't compatible

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Ok. Just ordered a Lakewood 15200 Bellhousing.

Where can I find the proper clutch fork and clutch release bearing? This will be going on a small block ford with a 4 speed toploader.

The entire clutch system on this car was hacked together so I rather not take chances using parts that aren't compatible
302 or 351?

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
It looks like you need one of the two following clutch release levers. I don't know why there is a difference in price except for differing quality.
https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/lever_assy_clutch_release_clip_type-105772-1.html

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/lever_assy_clutch_release_clip_type-175800-1.html

Then you need this throwout bearing which is probably the one you are trying to use with the truck release lever.
https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/bearing_clutch_release_throwout_sealed_hd-105846-1.html

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think that throwout bearing is correct. Thank you for your suggestions though!

Does anyone know if I need to use Lakewood's Clutch release fork with Lakewood bellhousing? What do I need to make all of this work lol?

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
This is for a 351 Small Block Windsor
Hmmm… What you needed was a C5TA-A bell. That's an iron smallblock bell, used on the 69-71 351.

The Lakewood adds a whole element of non-stockness which needs to be dealt with. Unless you need to pass NHRA technical for drag racing, I wouldn't use one.

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
This is for a 351 Small Block Windsor
Hmmm… What you needed was a C5TA-A bell. That's an iron smallblock bell, used on the 69-71 351.

The Lakewood adds a whole element of non-stockness which needs to be dealt with. Unless you need to pass NHRA technical for drag racing, I wouldn't use one.

At least all the clutch linkage components for 71-73 are now available new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts