Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having contacted both Holley and Summit Racing plus following as many entries on Mustang forums, I have determine the best intake for an EFI is a single plane. While getting the engine ready for install, I located an old Holley Street Dominator single plane. I compared the intake's port size with that of the new Edelbrock E-Street heads. The FelPro gaskets were nearly a perfect match with the E-Street's intake ports gaskets. The same gaskets also showed how much smaller the ports were on the intake. Thanks to my neighbor's suggestion, I took my air powered digrinder and used a straight laminate bit from my router bit collection and went to work. It worked like a charm. Didn't take long and I had aluminum chips all over the place. There is no comparison between my amateur hand held porting to that of a CNC machine. I hope mine isn't too bad. After a thorough cleaning, I'm setting the gaskets and intake on the engine and scope the runners to see if I have a good match of the ports between the intake and heads.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having contacted both Holley and Summit Racing plus following as many entries on Mustang forums, I have determine the best intake for an EFI is a single plane. While getting the engine ready for install, I located an old Holley Street Dominator single plane. I compared the intake's port size with that of the new Edelbrock E-Street heads. The FelPro gaskets were nearly a perfect match with the E-Street's intake ports gaskets. The same gaskets also showed how much smaller the ports were on the intake. Thanks to my neighbor's suggestion, I took my air powered digrinder and used a straight laminate bit from my router bit collection and went to work. It worked like a charm. Didn't take long and I had aluminum chips all over the place. There is no comparison between my amateur hand held porting to that of a CNC machine. I hope mine isn't too bad. After a thorough cleaning, I'm setting the gaskets and intake on the engine and scope the runners to see if I have a good match of the ports between the intake and heads.
Correct pic of gasket on the E-Street head.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
I ran Sniper EFI with a Performer 289 (dual plane) and a 1" open spacer. Developed an oil leak at the back side of the intake, and I wanted an intake with a bit more top end pull, so I switched to the Air Gap with no spacer (same overall height). It's a dual plane as well, but the divider is milled down in the center by Edelbrock. Runs awesome. I almost installed an older Torker 289 which is a single plane, but like you saw in your Holley, the runners and ports are very small compared to modern aluminum heads (I am running Edelbrock RPM heads) and it was made with 70s/80s technology vs modern technology. I am very happy with the Air Gap with EFI. Just wanted to share another option! I had more issues with timing control and wiring than I did with single vs dual plane. :)

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I just took of the eec-iv last week and put on a sniper with a Stealth. No issues yet but I've only been messing around with it in the garage/driveway. (And I installed the progressive linkage).
Since I'm only familiar with eec-iv (and no carbs, I mean), should I have equal vacuum in both ports on the intake at the rear (left and right bank?). Just trying to see if there is a better port out of those two for the brake booster. The RH (1-4) almost seems like it almost has more vacuum, but that's just using my hand until I scrounge up my vacuum gauge.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just took of the eec-iv last week and put on a sniper with a Stealth. No issues yet but I've only been messing around with it in the garage/driveway. (And I installed the progressive linkage).
Since I'm only familiar with eec-iv (and no carbs, I mean), should I have equal vacuum in both ports on the intake at the rear (left and right bank?). Just trying to see if there is a better port out of those two for the brake booster. The RH (1-4) almost seems like it almost has more vacuum, but that's just using my hand until I scrounge up my vacuum gauge.
Why are you not using the big port in the rear of the Sniper for the brakes?

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts