Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by an old racer that if you took a mid to late 60s 289 and put a 260 crank with late 302w heads that you could rev the motor all the way to 10k no problem. thoughts?

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
260 and 289 used the same crankshaft and what are late model 302 heads?

Dude was FOS or on the way out.

Reactions: Caper50

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
10K, seriously,......?

How old was he?
How drunk was he? :)

The 260 and 289 share the same stroke (2.87") and journal size. I see no advantage of a 260 crank.

A buddy of mine was a SCCA national champion in GT-1 running a Roush ex-Trans-Am Mustang. Even with a Roush built 310 I think it red lined at 8,500 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
Did he also tell you that you'll need a "full race" camshaft or did he say a "3/4" camshaft is enough?
Yes, the infamous 3/4 race cam.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Come guys let the 10k comment pass ---- In all fairness ,he never said how many times ! I`m sure once is in the cards maybe even twice.

·
Registered
36,502 Posts
I needed a good laugh, thanks. The 260 and 289 had the same stroke, so that's a wash. Essentially the same parts. Now there's a shop near here that provides stress-relieved shot peened 302 rods, with ARP bolts, and they'll warrant them to 7000.

I know a guy who has built engines years ago that would survive 8,500 (10,000 on decel), but he's a metallurgy genius who has made tooling for Ford and others.

For a V8 engine to repeatedly survive 10,000 rpm would require some VERY exotic internals, that's a level far beyond street. Even NASCAR doesn't go over 10,000 any more. And you could easily pay $50,000 for a NASCAR engine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
He must have been referring to a new gt350r - and that's screaming at 8200

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I needed a good laugh, thanks. The 260 and 289 had the same stroke, so that's a wash. Essentially the same parts. Now there's a shop near here that provides stress-relieved shot peened 302 rods, with ARP bolts, and they'll warrant them to 7000.

I know a guy who has built engines years ago that would survive 8,500 (10,000 on decel), but he's a metallurgy genius who has made tooling for Ford and others.

For a V8 engine to repeatedly survive 10,000 rpm would require some VERY exotic internals, that's a level far beyond street. Even NASCAR doesn't go over 10,000 any more. And you could easily pay $50,000 for a NASCAR engine.
Yes, repeatedly is the main point here. These motors were not built to turn those number in a prlonged manor.
We had a 289 in around 75 that was built for a drag car. 2 fours, big valve heads, balanced, etc. It would turn 10 grand in a heart beat. Several questioned this, but was shown it would do it.
Again this was not a common thing that we over used, over extended.

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
I was told by an old racer that if you took a mid to late 60s 289 and put a 260 crank with late 302w heads that you could rev the motor all the way to 10k no problem. thoughts?
The results reveal that you were told wrong,.....you’ve been corrected.

All jokes are posted in friendly humor,.....so glad it’s Friday, this is a GREAT board, members helping each other fun!

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,171 Posts
I'd be shocked if the valves would even let it spin that high.

As a teenager a friend drug an old Ford Fairmont out of the weeds for the 302 out of it. Once we got it in the shop we realized it was a 6. But with fresh gas and a battery it fired and ran but the teans was shot. We drug it back out and started it and tied the carb wide open. No idea how many rpms it was spinning but it seemed to be limited by valve float. And ran like that for nearly 10 minutes before it overheated and seized.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The results reveal that you were told wrong,.....you’ve been corrected.

All jokes are posted in friendly humor,.....so glad it’s Friday, this is a GREAT board, members helping each other fun!
this is why I like you people jokes left and right but with konlage thrown in

1 - 20 of 35 Posts