Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently fixed my cracked block with a new used date code correct block and a motor rebuild. I’m changing the oil for the first time after 500 miles and the Motorcraft Fl-1A called on on some of the websites will not fit. What’s on the car is a Wix 51348 which is about 1/2 the size of the FL-1A. The FL-1A won’t fit due to a lower control arm or an anti-sway bar that runs from one wheel to the other (sorry, I know my knowledge of this car is not expert level yet). So a couple questions is the smaller filter correct, if not what’s the danger to the car from using it and how do I get around this blockage? The smaller filter seals up ok. Any info would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
The Motorcraft FL-820 S is the shorter version and it has a silicone anti-drain-back valve. Try that.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
The sway bar in FE equipped cars was unique, and provided the clearance needed for the proper filter. What bar does your car have now? An angled or remote filter bracket can be an alternative to the special sway bar.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The 820S is for a mod motor. The Motorcraft filter you need is a FL300. It's the same as the 1A only shorter. Originally used on Ford cars equipped with a water/oil heat exchanger, like the 2.3 Turbo and 351 Police cars. They can sometimes be hard to find locally, but Amazon usually has them.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
The 820S is for a mod motor. The Motorcraft filter you need is a FL300. It's the same as the 1A only shorter. Originally used on Ford cars equipped with a water/oil heat exchanger, like the 2.3 Turbo and 351 Police cars. They can sometimes be hard to find locally, but Amazon usually has them.
^^^ This. The FL-820S has a close, but metric, thread. The FL-300 has the correct 3/4-16 thread.
You guys are absolutely right. Glad you're paying attention! Also used these on the Bronco and F-150s with engine coolant filter base.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts