Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking details (part #'s, date codes, etc.) to help locate a correct AM/FM radio and antenna for a '69 CJ Mach 1. A good source for either would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's a true and false statement.
Yes there is a correct part # and prints, but I would love to see how many correct tear shape antennas vs the incorrect round antennas that the dealer installed just because they had some in stock. The majority of the forum agreed that the majority of the antennas installed is "what the dealer had in stock" at that time.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Weeeeell, as I understand it, if a car was ordered with a radio what Pop428 has pictured would be placed in the trunk for the dealer to install. This is the correct teardrop antenna. However, some dealers liked to order cars without radios and charge them big $$$ to install them so that they get the money instead of Ford. Therefore a complete dealer installed radio/antenna setup could be incorrect.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The antena should look like the one Pop428 has pictured and have a C9Z partnumber. you can typically find them on e-bay for about $95. Beware of the generic Ford part C8ZZ since it isn't correct. The Radio will have a more general part number stamped on it 9FBZ or F9BZ for Am/FM, T9MZ for am/8track and AM is a C9##

This website Link is a good reference for radios.

unfortunately non-am radios are pricey. you can spend over $500 for one.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes, i don't see how people can be confused with my post, it clearly has the C9Z and even has "MUSTANG" stamped on the package!!!!

I can ost a closer shot if needed?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If a car was ordered without a radio were speakers still installed? How about the wiring for the speakers?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Jay_H_237 said:
If a car was ordered without a radio were speakers still installed? How about the wiring for the speakers?
No - no SPEAKERS since multiple speakers were not typical. Have not tore down an original 69 radio delete car but have found a 68 radio delete car that had no dash speaker in fact it had a rubber pad that covered over the speaker grill/dash holes.

Was an interesting find,

·
Registered
532 Posts
I worked in a Ford dealer ( still do ) from '66/up and installed a few radio kits in my day. The Ford /factory kit was specific for each year and had the correct antenna,speaker,etc. all the way to the static suppresor at the voltage regulator to the static contacts behind the dust cap at the front wheel bearings. If you have ever seen a real ,NOS Ford radio kit you would be amazed at how detailed and complete they were. The cars did come with that antenna shown in '69 and in the trunk as stated. We got antennas in cars with no radios at times! I think the guy on the assembly line got used to putting one in each car and did not look real close at the build sheet. The later ,replacement parts were pretty far off as far as look and fit ( like the later C8ZZ # piece of crap ) We also installed a lot of gypo radio kits to make more $ per car. Ours were " Automatic " brand and were real junk. I wonder how many people think they got an original car/radio with those and compare that to the real parts! Gypo side molding kits,stripes,A/C,etc, were common back then. We used to install Ford kits for rear defogger, rear speakers, power brakes and power steering also. Cars were ordered w/o those to have a lower advertised price. They were sold to them as "options". I still have an original, NOS set of C8ZZ "landau bars " for the coupes! Ah yes,the good ol' days! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts