Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster ... with a question about Rally Pacs. I've searched through the forums, visited the Tachman's website, and have also been here: http://www.globalfreespirit.com/rallypac/rp.htm

I have one or two lingering questions, however. From what I've been able to gather, my '65 GT A-Code coupe with blue & white deluxe interior needs a low-profile, 6,000 RPM rally pac to be "correct".

I've also gotten an opinion or two that it should be black -- that even on deluxe interiors, the color-coordination of rally pacs did not begin until '66 model years.

My questions are:
1. Am I on the right track? Should I be looking for a BLACK low-profile 6,000 RPM rally pac?

2. Is there a way to tell the difference between a '66 low-profile and a '65 low-profile? I see a lot of '66 models out there on e-hay and elsewhere, but the '65 low-profile seems to be a rarity among rarities.

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer!

Thanks a bunch!
-Clay

PS -- As a newbie, I would also love to know the story behind the censoring of the word (e-hay). How'd that come to pass around here? Just curious. :)

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Not sure about the colors, but there was only 1 rally pac bodystyle per year. 65 and 66 were different, the 66 was the "low profile" and the 65 was not, the 65 had a bar between the clock and the tach that had the words "RALLY PAK" on the bar.

The ONLY difference in any given model year was the tachs. The K code's got 8000 rpm tachs, the A & C codes got 6000rpm tachs, and the 6 Cyl got 6000 RPM tachs (different from the A & C code Tachs).

I've heard people claim to have origonal 8000 rpm tachs on thier A & C code, not sure if they have something rare, or if they just don't know what they are talking about.

SprintCC

PS. The ban on E*bay was because there were alot of people selling parts there that would come over here, register, and only post links to thier own auctions. Annoying IMHO. So the word was banned. Personally I think it was a good idea

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
"but there was only 1 rally pac bodystyle per year. 65 and 66 were different, the 66 was the "low profile" and the 65 was not"

That is not really correct. The 65 Mustangs with the luxury interior or a GT both got the low profile rally pac. The Mustangs with the standard, Falcon style gauge cluster got the high profile rally pac.

The low profile was color keyed to the interior but a black one goes with anything anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should definitely be the correct white. Black would make it look like an added on deal. :)
Heh heh ... that's what I think too, but then again the high-profile '65 Rally Pac was available in any color you wanted, as long as it was black ... I just don't know Ford was quite hip to the color coordination of the rally pacs until '66.

Thanks for all the responses -- I didn't think a low-profile was correct for a '65 GT/Deluxe until I saw these pages, both of which show low-profile for GT and Deluxe:

http://www.globalfreespirit.com/rallypac/rp.htm
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehistoryof/41542/

Supposing I do go with a white one (if I can find one), is there anything to differentiate a low-profile '65 and a low-profile '66? Different part numbers, maybe?

As many others have said, I'm just wanting to be as correct as I can before shelling out $500-800 on one of these babies.

Thanks! :)
-Clay

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I agree with the others that color-matched piece would look the best; but I seem to remember what you're referring too also. Somewhere I read that 1965 Rally Paks were only black; but perhaps when the low-profile versions became available along with the GT and deluxe interior packages (April of '65), it was also available in all the colors. Just a guess...

Where's Charles Turner? ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Chas Turner can chime in here but yes, there are differences among the tach and clock used in low profile units. I have one of each (both are 6k units) - some tachs are numbered every 5k and some each 10k. Also, some clocks have the "6" hour marked and some it is missing for the adjustment knob shaft (both mine are like the latter). Good luck sorting it all out!! ::

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
They were dash color in 65 because the low profile pac only came with the inst cluster with guages. The low profile was designed for the panel with guages. It is possible that a standard interior GT would have come with a black one but unlikely, unless the interior was black. Why in the hell would anyone want a black one with a blue and white dash. I do know that the pony interior cars had color keyed pacs. Ford did the console in dash color and color coordinated everything. A black pac would be like Nikes at a black tie dinner. LOL! :: or a recent acquisition :)

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
"Why in the hell would anyone want a black one with a blue and white dash"

Well...since the high profile RP only came in black that was your only choice :)

I only mentioned black being an acceptable choice for the low profile because black does go with anything. It is pretty neutral and also because good look buying a low profile in the color you want. They seem to be mainly black. The last thing I would want to do is pay $500 for a RP and screw it up painting it.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I wish CT would chime in here, but it's my recollection that 65s were high profile and black, and 66s were low profile and color coded.

IIRC interior, deluxe or not, had no bearing as to whether a 65 got a low profile unit. I posted almost the same question here when I was searching for a RP for my 65 GT fastback (with gauges) and was told that the high profile black RP was correct. Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's answers! Looks like low profile is the way to go for my car, and either black or white will be acceptable. So, I'll keep an eye out for a while one. :)

Thanks again!
-Clay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts