Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm sure this subject has been covered to death but I'm a newbie so forgive me ...
Here in Ireland it is impossible to find a shop that has a clue about setting a mustang front end. I have given hours and hours trying correct it myself but with not much luck, other than a wonderful education in how it's put together. I found a kit on the Mustangsplus site that eliminates the camber bolts so that's that end taken care of hopefully. The real problem is the correct toe setting. I have read several different versions of what it should be, and all of them in inches ie 1/8" toed in, 1/32 toed out, etc!!
Then to add to that, the guys in the shop here want the toe settings in degrees! What's a man to do? :deadhorse:

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Tell us a little about the car and any mods you've done to it. It will help us figure what you might need.

Think about the toe this way, if you have a stock tire (lets say 68) the oem diameter was about 26 inches. Take half of that for 13 inchs. A 1/4 inch toe in is 1/8 inch per side. Draw a straight line 13 inchs long. Make a mark 1/8 up from the end and connect that mark to the beginning of the other line and you now have an angle that can be measured in degrees with either a handy math program or angle finding device. (or as an approximation, as the angle approaches 0.000 the angle's value is height/distance or or -.125/13 or -.10 degree)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Inches to degrees....
0 total toe = 0 per side = 0* per side
1/16" total toe = 1/32" per side = .14* per side
1/8" total toe = 1/16" per side = .28* per side
3/16" total toe = 3/32" per side = .41* per side
1/4" total toe = 1/8" per side = .55* per side

1/8" total toe-in is a good starting point for most stock or mild street cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only changes/mods I made to the car was the 1" Shelby drop, 1/4 coil cut on the coil springs and a set of subframe connectors. I plan to replace the bushings on the front of the car and on the leaf springs with stock rubber bushings. The Mustang runs on 15X7 Torque thrusts II's. Other than that all replacement parts are stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts