Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out on the correct trunk mat for our 1966 GT Convertible? I was told a Bertex mat was the only truely correct mat (which are difficult to find) and then I came across information that says for a 66 it should be grey plaid molded rubber. No mention of bertex.

We are trying to restore this to as correct as possible and would appreciate any help. Thanks!!!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
My original '66 mat is gray plaid

·
Registered
288 Posts
Grey Plaid Rubber. My Fastback has its original mat.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Plaid rubber mat for 65 - 68 cpe/conv is $44.95 at NPD (part # TMR-1P). States "trim for fasback. Trim right hand side to be correct for 66". Not sure if anyone else sells the rubber mats or not. Vinyl is much cheaper at $19.95 but not "correct".

G

·
0 Posts
Should be a rubber plaid mat as others have indicated. Depending on your build date, you could have 1 of 2 varieties for '66... the early would be the '65 style which extends under the spare tire. The regular '66 mat does not go over the trunk floor under the spare tire.

I have a very good used original mat out of a '66 convertible if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Charles:
Would you have a picture of a 66 FB trunk mat installed? I've never noticed that it doesn't extend over the passenger side trunk dropoff (where the spare tire sits).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Charles,
if the molded rubber mats are correct, what,where & when did the "burtex" type mats come into play ?? Aftermarket or dealer replacement ??

I ask because I have one in my trunk, albeit kinda ratty, and want to replace it with the same kind because it fits well and provides better cushioning and sound proofing than the rubber or vinyl type.

THANKS!

G

·
0 Posts
don't have any pics handy. you see them now and then on fleabay, and surprisingly some sellers actually know the difference!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts