Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 67 GTA, it had chrome valve covers on the motor. I would like to go back to the original valve covers for the car (289 A code).

The PO gave me another set of valve covers with the car and said that they were the original valve covers from the engine. These covers are an odd color - flat olive green and have no part numbers stamped on them.

I would imagine that these are not original or the correct color. Shouldn't they be the same color blue as the air cleaner housing?

Also, were there different valve covers for engines with the California smog equipment?

Thanks for your help with this...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
As far as i know they are supposed to be blue. Id say, if they have no dents in them, to just sand em down and re-paint em.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i also think they are supposed to be blue....i had the original set when i purchased mine ( c code) , my gf also had her original set when we purchased hers ( a coder) and they were blue as well.although ive seen a few restored stangs with black valve covers as well.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
67 valve covers on 289's were Ford blue.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yep, they should be blue.

There's a really good article on engine paint colors in the current Mustang Monthly.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts