Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to prepare a car to compete in a concours class. I have a '70 Mach1. Like probably most in the country, I do not have the factory wheel and tire combination on my car. It would have had 14"X7" black steel wheels with the sport wheel covers, or whatever their name is. I know back in the 70's those wheels were hard to come by. Are the wheels judged for originality and date codes? Thanks!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would like to prepare a car to compete in a concours class. I have a '70 Mach1. Like probably most in the country, I do not have the factory wheel and tire combination on my car. It would have had 14"X7" black steel wheels with the sport wheel covers, or whatever their name is. I know back in the 70's those wheels were hard to come by. Are the wheels judged for originality and date codes? Thanks!
what concours venue are you considering?? each may have its own requirements. in mca concours the date codes are not checked. appearance and finish will be. the only 2 classes in mca where date codes come into play is thoroughbred and unrestored which your does not qualify for.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I happen to have a very nice hubcap of the type you seek, except it has a center cap with a red Mercury crest.

It is possible to change the center caps. I've seen these same hubcaps with several different center caps. For instance, the ultra-rare Cougar Eliminator cat cap. These were too nice not to save so I took them off trashed hubcaps. They are quite heavy and possibly have thick glass over the crest.

As for "date codes" I see no stampings on any metal whatsoever. There is a white paper sticker, but whatever was printed on it 50 years ago has disappeared.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts