Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an earlier post on the old site, someone had asked what the "correct" color was for a 66' power steering pump. I had stated that it was black. Charles Turner replied that it could also be teal blue. According to Bob Mannel's book, the real answer was medium/dark METALLIC blue! The book goes on to reference a Buick medium metallic blue as a close match. Sorry for the bad advice.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe (mine)
95' XLT Ranger (mine)
01' GLX 1.8T New Beetle (hers)

G

·
0 Posts
there were 2 types of pumps used on early Mustangs. One was a Ford pump and if memory serves me correct, the other was a Saginaw. The Ford pumps were painted black and the others painted the teal blue color. everybody calls the p/s pump color teal blue on these pumps which if you have ever seen one your would concur it looks like teal. The medium/dark metallic blue could also be a close description albeit it is NOT a dark blue.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe my power steering pump (Ford pump w/ big mouth) is original equipment. It has many patches of dark metallic paint that when removed leave very shiny bare metal spots. I originally assumed this paint was from a previous owner, or was the result of a rebuild. After reading Mannel's book with script taken from Ford literature, I am positive that this is original paint. It is DEFINITELY not teal. It looks like a medium dark blue, and it IS metallic. I will be repainting it semi-gloss black however, because the blue color is not to my liking.

66' Vintage Burgundy C-code, coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Thumbnail?u=1571656&a=11943851&p=42935059&Width=100&Height=100&Sequence=2.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ShanMan on 03/12/01 06:02 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The codes indicate that is a 65' (unchanged for 66' per Mannel's book) Ford-Thompson pump. The tag reads HBA-AC with additional numbers and letters that I have no way of decoding. Question: is the "teal" color you are describeing a metallic paint?

66' Vintage Burgundy C-code, coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Thumbnail?u=1571656&a=11943851&p=42935059&Width=100&Height=100&Sequence=2.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts