Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 68 Cougar needs the complete interior redone. It needs the front and rear seat upholstery, door panels to include cards, rear panels material only, as well as a headliner. I have a few shops locally that l'll talk to about doing the whole job.

Keeping it close to stock. Nothing over the top. Sticking with a combo of vinyl and fabric, no leather. Dont need new cushions for the seats. Ill get the carpet set from WCCC.

I have no idea what this may cost. I thought I might reach out here and see what others have paid for the same job or what others think is an acceptable price.

Throw some numbers out there as to what you think is reasonable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Why do you assume you don't need new cushions? If they are over 20 years old, the foam is almost certainly collapsed and putting new upholstery on collapsed foam will end up with a "baggy" look. But to answer your question...West Coast Cougar has your seat covers and seat backs for a little over $1000, the door panels listed as $400, and the headliner looks to average $80, I am sure you could pick up vinyl for the interior quarter panels for about $80 or $90....so $1600 in materials...as for installation, who knows? I can't get an upholsterer to quote me anything straight, I long since gave up trying since the difficulty isn't enough to be worth the bother. I have resigned myself to doing everything but making the seat covers myself at this point.

Reactions: Rufus68

·
Registered
261 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to quote a set price, every interior is different and every customer expectation is different. But budget $3-4k as a starting point if you're looking for high quality work that will look good at shows. Probably somewhat less if you just want a driver and don't mind some imperfections. Seat upholstery isn't brain science, but it does take some experience to do well so you have a nicely shaped seat with no lumps or waves and nice squarely installed covers. Same goes for installing headliners. A "good enough for a driver" headliner doesn't take that long to install. A high quality perfect show job takes a lot longer. Same goes or carpet fitment to the floor. Even molded carpets rarely fit perfectly, and require massaging, stretching, trimming, etc.. the nicer you want the fit, the more it will cost.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Who's doin the work? If you're willing to sweat a little bit, you can cut your cost in half. Look up Cerullo or TMI. SEM prep and paint makes excellent paint for door panels and dash pads. An interior can cost the same as a paint job. DIY is something to consider.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,475 Posts
I don't know you skill / confidence level, but installing the headliner, carpet and door panel yourself can save money. It's not rocket science...I watched a bunch of videos and researched it, and mine came out perfect, with no prior upholstery experience (just good mechanical skills). That means you can then take the seats out of the car and bring them to an upholsterer. Since the upholsterer won't have a car occupying space in their shop, you might be able to negotiate a fair price for them to recover the seats. The hard part of the headliner is that you need the front and rear glass out to do it properly. I solved this by having a mobile glass guy remove and reinstall the glass.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cougars are probably the same, but the biggest deal is having to pull the windshield and back glass out to do the headliner job correctly. Good time to replace glass if you have any cracks, major scratches or pitting. I’ve seen guys do it without touching the windshield as well but it isn’t “correct.”

Everything else just depends. If you DIY, then probably $1500 or so for super cheap stuff. Higher quality DIY could be $3k. Double those prices to have someone else install it is how it usually goes. The door cards are pretty pricey last time I checked.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
What area are you in?
Some of these VMF members will help for a little pizza and cold beverages, for a little fun. It's what we enjoy! I did my own cars and have helped with others.

Reactions: Israel and Milligan

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,324 Posts
As others have said, the average person can do a lot of interior work themselves. I did my own carpet, painted my doors and quarters, and installed new door panels. I drew the line at seat covers so I bought the kit and cushions (you DEFINATELY want new cushions BTW) from TMI and had a shop do the recover for $400. Last thing is the headliner which ill probably farm out since I want it done correctly. I've been told that can be expensive since they have to take the glass out.

·
Super Moderator
11,494 Posts
New cushions and burlap are required, even when thinking they aren't,.......

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
There was a Mustang Monthly article decades ago that suggested indoor/outdoor carpet instead of burlap. That is what I did,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for the advise and info!
I would expect $4-5k if writing a check.

drop off old, pick up new, drive away.
After speaking with a trim shop today, I now am motivated to attack this myself. 3 to 4K is only half of what I was quoted. Im waiting on a couple of other small time one man shops to follow up, but I wasnt to impressed with either. I asked for quotes just to be able to compare.
My wife and I did the carpet, headliner, door panels, package tray and center console ourselves.
xcellr8 go into detail about your door panels. Did you sew them up yourselves? Drop some pix if you can.

I have done a headliner once before. It turned out OK at the time. At the time, I dont think I had the internet for reference as I do now! So a headliner and carper will be no problems.

I was on TMI site today and have reached out and inquired with them as to options. Here are the issue at this time. My front seats are out of a 90ish Mustang. They are the low backs from an LX/GT model I believe. From what I found today, I think the 81 to 93 are all the same. If any one can confirm or deny that would be helpful. The other issue is, are the rear seats for a Cougar the same dimensions as a Mustang. Would the TMI rear seat upholstery fit a Cougar rear seat? If need be I can measure my bottom rear seat and if someone could compare to a 68 Mustang, that would be greatly appreciated! I was looking at the TMI sport II upholstery for the rear. Couldnt find a match for my 90ish front buckets I have. So we will see what TMI has to say.
Here are the best pix I have at the moment of my front seats. Can anyone confirm where these likely came from.

Why do you assume you don't need new cushions? If they are over 20 years old, the foam is almost certainly collapsed and putting new upholstery on collapsed foam will end up with a "baggy" look.
I get your point about cushions and they will be added to the shopping cart once I know if I can get TMI to match the front and rear seats. BTW, I was on your site looking at your center console build!
What area are you in?
Some of these VMF members will help for a little pizza and cold beverages, for a little fun. It's what we enjoy! I did my own cars and have helped with others.
Im in central Colorado and I have plenty of pizza or beer if anyone is up to stopping in to lend a hand! Thanks for the reminder! Anyone feeling like swinging by, give me a shout!
At the risk of appearing to brag...I offer this photo as encouragement to try the headliner yourself.
the front and rear glass are out, so Ill take on your challenge and offer up a photo of my headliner when WCCC gets headliners in stock!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I get your point about cushions and they will be added to the shopping cart once I know if I can get TMI to match the front and rear seats. BTW, I was on your site looking at your center console build!
Thanks, the center console was a fun build, suitable for some basic first time upholstery work, it turned out pretty decent.

I just mentioned the foam because I am rebuilding my seats from the rusted out seat basket up....I am using Capri seats instead of Mustang seats and dealing with 50 year old collapsed foam myself...unfortunately no one sells foam for Capris that I have been able to find so I actually have to carve it from scratch(in fact the sheets of foam I ordered just came in today) and I will be starting on the foam carving probably next week, as soon as I finish repairing the frame and basket. Never done any such thing before, but honestly it looks as easy as shaping wood or fiberglass so I am fairly confident I will be able to manage. You can always try to repair collapsed foam as well just FYI with an upholstery steamer, but there are no guarantees it will work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
as soon as I finish repairing the frame and basket.
Well lets hope TMI has an answer for my front seat matching the rear. At least I know I can get cushions. Ill need to take a look at my seat frames as well. They recline and swing forward, but there is something about the way the catch and when returned back to normal position. The trim shop did indicate that those seats had a tendency to crack around the lower frames near the latch mechanism. Said he welded many of them up. Just one more learning curve for mew I suppose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not surprised by this! I did find a post where someone measure a 68 Mustang rear seat bottom It is 52 across the front, 42 at the back. Just so happens to be the same as a Cougar. Makes sense when you think that the rear axle is the same. Its the length of the cars that are different from each other.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was on TMI site today and have reached out and inquired with them as to options. Here are the issue at this time. My front seats are out of a 90ish Mustang. They are the low backs from an LX/GT model I believe. From what I found today, I think the 81 to 93 are all the same. If any one can confirm or deny that would be helpful.
Here are some websites talking about Fox body seats when I was deciding on which ones I wanted.
Fox Seat Differences?
1986 Mustang GT Build and How To's (zeroentity.com)
I am working on my seats at the moment. Custom front seat upholstery from TMI and foam, springs etc from LMR.
66 Convertible restomod post #136..

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
There are a ton of photos and details in my thread about "66 Emberglo coupe for son" ...
If we can do it in my carport, you can do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts