Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Firefly Crew Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is going to be a hot topic... kind of like Canon vs. Nikon (do NOT get me started!! lol! )

My pretty common '65 Coupe is now ready for a little body (very little - new hood, one headlight cover, grill) and complete paint.

Without even seeing it, one shop estimated $10k (siting $1100/gallon for paint), and the other $10K to $30K. This was even after I said this was a basic paint job - no show quality, etc. The guy sounded like he was on drugs (maybe at that $30k price?). Still shopping around. I'm not after a maaco special, but $10k and up seems just downright stupid if it just sits in a garage, covered, and maybe goes out once a week in good weather.

I am after new seals on the windows, glass/lights removed, engine compartment not touched except for underneath the new hood), and I'm putting in the new rear and front light kits. Nor does the interior of the trunk need paint except for the underside of the trunk lid itself. No interior painting done at all either.

Thoughts/Comments? This should be a good one.... :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am in the same situation. The problem that I am finding is that no reputable restoration shop wants to do a daily driver type paint job. The places that I have visited do not want to put their name on an inferior product because it can be bad advertising. Therefore, the price always seems to start around $15-20k (with minimal bodywork).

You might have to find yourself an up and coming shop that is not yet full of themselves.
If anyone knows a place like this in the DFW area, please PM me:)

Dcubedus

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
$10k can be reasonable if you're using a metallic paint and if the paint shop is having to completely disassemble and reassemble your car. Labor costs really add up.

However, if you send the car to them already stripped of trim and other components that get in the way of a paint job, then that usually should save you quite a bit. Even better if you strip the old paint off of the car as well! You can save a lot of cash with some legwork on your end.

Without seeing the car it's hard to know what work it needs, but since prices are higher in the PNW, I would think that $5000-7000 is probably more ballpark for a driver job where you do some of the disassembly yourself.

Paint is definitely not $1100 per gallon though!! Even my highly pearlescent PPG paint was only $865/gallon.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Having completed all the mechanical upgrades and rebuilds, the final task on my '66 is paint. My car is a daily driver and was only repainted once in it's lifetime. It is very straight and totally rust free. I'm looking for what I would consider a "re-paint"(similar to what you describe). I want the very stable materials on the car block sanded to remove most of the the minor imperfections and re-shoot it the same color. The estimates I've received range from $6500 - $18000. I will say that I am having a very hard time finding a shop that will even do anything less than a full restoration. Many have told me that they just aren't interested.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well . . . this is a tough question. Most of the body shops I know make their money on insurance / collision jobs. Many have been "roped in to a classic restoration" and have lost lots of money, had hard feelings and had folks not satisfied with "driver quality" that has their name on it. If I were you I would check with others in you area (hit a cruise night or show & shine) and talk to the owners of the finish you are looking for and see what they paid and who did the work. It will not be cheap. when I redid mine the paint cost about $2,500. I just checked and the local jobber is getting $600-$800 a gallon for Dupont - chroma base coat PLUS hardener and reducer. It's not cheap. Mel

·
Registered
926 Posts
It really depends on your definition of a "paint job". 20-30 years ago a paint job was just that, a paint job. Today's definition seems to be a complete body restoration. Sounds like you want the old fashioned paint job with a few extras. Find a body man to do it on his off hours or an advanced hobbyist but you'll need to do most of the grunt work and the paint doesn't need to be the top tier line.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Check with the local paint supply store, they know everybody that buys paint and usually know their reputation and quality of work. You will be surprised how many great painters DON'T work at commercial body shops! That's an inside tip at no charge! Lol!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Join a Mustang club. Chances are they will know or have a painter in the club. BTW, MAACO was listed in Mustang Monthly a while back as one of the best places for paint jobs. Personally they would be not my first choice, but they wouldn't be my last choice either.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I've always thought if people brought their cars to me prepped and ready to spray I'd make some bank because there'd have to be a huge line of people wanting this. This is the age old question, $10k is reasonable and typical.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I usually don't chime in on paint, simply because I'm no painter and would never claim to be. However, it appears to me (and any of the painters on the forum can feel free to correct me) that the major cost in a paint job is, wait for it, the PAINT!! I own a business in the petroleum equipment industry and have often thought about the money made on any given liquid (gas, diesel, etc.). Well, paint ranks WAY up there. As the OP stated, $1100 per gallon of paint (and that may very well be "cheap" paint).

Allen

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I think this is going to be a hot topic... kind of like Canon vs. Nikon (do NOT get me started!! lol! )

My pretty common '65 Coupe is now ready for a little body (very little - new hood, one headlight cover, grill) and complete paint.

Without even seeing it, one shop estimated $10k (siting $1100/gallon for paint), and the other $10K to $30K. This was even after I said this was a basic paint job - no show quality, etc. The guy sounded like he was on drugs (maybe at that $30k price?). Still shopping around. I'm not after a maaco special, but $10k and up seems just downright stupid if it just sits in a garage, covered, and maybe goes out once a week in good weather.

I am after new seals on the windows, glass/lights removed, engine compartment not touched except for underneath the new hood), and I'm putting in the new rear and front light kits. Nor does the interior of the trunk need paint except for the underside of the trunk lid itself. No interior painting done at all either.

Thoughts/Comments? This should be a good one.... :)
Where are you located at in the Pacific Northwest?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I usually don't chime in on paint, simply because I'm no painter and would never claim to be. However, it appears to me (and any of the painters on the forum can feel free to correct me) that the major cost in a paint job is, wait for it, the PAINT!! I own a business in the petroleum equipment industry and have often thought about the money made on any given liquid (gas, diesel, etc.). Well, paint ranks WAY up there. As the OP stated, $1100 per gallon of paint (and that may very well be "cheap" paint).

Allen
And that is JUST PAINT! Not to mention the necessary reducer, and good clear isn't free either...when we painted my 69 BOSSSVT in 2010 the paint and supporting chemicals were over $1800....and that is my wholesale account cost!

·
Registered
940 Posts
As the OP stated, $1100 per gallon of paint (and that may very well be "cheap" paint).

Allen
I don't care if $1,100/gal paint IS cheap paint. That is damned expensive paint to me!! I am still getting used to the $200 primer from SPI (and that gives me 2 gallons!!). The primer now sounds cheap!

·
Firefly Crew Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in Portland, so I'm sure the recycling costs, business fees in Portland (the 25k place), green fees (not talking golf....), coffee fees, and other herbal requirements could have something to do with it. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Look at these cars, All , except the last,were done for under $10K and that included a lot of metal work, along with a lot of body work.The last one was over that amount, but included a tremendous amount of parts and floor work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
I usually don't chime in on paint, simply because I'm no painter and would never claim to be. However, it appears to me (and any of the painters on the forum can feel free to correct me) that the major cost in a paint job is, wait for it, the PAINT!!
I would think even if the paint cost twice as much as that $1k (give or take) per gallon, that is not the major cost of a good paint job. Heck, even if the total tab is only, oh say $8K, it's still not the majority that labor is. A pie chart would show that "Use-and-dispose-of-materials" play a role too.

Given the scenario as presented, I would prep hell out of it and then pay for Maaco's best. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm in Portland, so I'm sure the recycling costs, business fees in Portland (the 25k place), green fees (not talking golf....), coffee fees, and other herbal requirements could have something to do with it. :)
Isn't the minimum wage like $15 per hour in Portland or is that Seattle?

One component of the paint job is the labor involved to make it look good, and that takes time, and sometimes a lot of it. If you figure a shop rate of about $85-$100 per hour to do the body work you can see in just prep alone it could cost you $4K if not more, and for that the car better be taken totally apart, and have minimal body work to be done. Factor in the actually painting with the number of base coats, flash time, respray, then the clear coats, flash time, wet sanding, buffing, etc. you can easily have another $4-6K in labor if not more. Right there we are at about $10K.

The car shows on TV make it seem like everything gets done in a few hours, but in reality it is so much longer. When I had my car painted 10 years ago I took the entire car apart, and every piece that was taken off was media blasted before taken to the painter. I trailed the car over and had a large truck take everything else. It was a huge undertaking.

So if you want a cheaper paint job, take the car apart, and have the fenders, hood, and all the small pieces media blasted by someone reputable. You might just have to get a MAACO paint job. Stop in and talk to them and explain what you will be doing and can they do the actual painting with some body work. Get a quote. Shop around.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I would think even if the paint cost twice as much as that $1k (give or take) per gallon, that is not the major cost of a good paint job. Heck, even if the total tab is only, oh say $8K, it's still not the majority that labor is.
Thank you for correcting me. Can we now agree that $1k for a gallon of liquid is absurd? Or shall we continue to debate...

Allen

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm having my 65 painted now. I found a shop who looked at the car and gave me a quote of 6g for a complete body panel removal paint job that included 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of color, and 2 clear coats with wet sanding. Unfortunately, rust was discovered and I'm now looking at a 12g job. It'll be done right, but you hAve to know that you may be opening a can of worms once they peel away the old paint and find what's underneath.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts