Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
we are a Restoration shop in Canada and your looking at $20000 + canadian$, metal work would be extra, We dont do driver quality paintwork, We always get someone saying i just want driver quality paint, (where do you want me to cut corners for that "drivers quality?")

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was getting crazy quotes as well. I was on a STRICT budget and ended up going to MAACO. They painted the car original Silver Frost and did some minor body work. It was around $4600.00. It's not the greatest job in the world, but great as basic driver. I have attached some photos. Also, has a 5 year warranty.

P

·
0 Posts
The paint absolutely is not the largest factor of a paint job. And $1000/gal paint is crazy in my eyes. Search here about it, I have posted many times what paint really costs, and I have said many of you are getting scammed. Flat out, scammed. Now you can spend more than $1000 gal if you are so inclined, but it does not have to coat that much. Most paint materials for painting a Mustang is under that figure. . . TOTAL. I'm too bored to get into this again, search and let my previous posts speak for me. Just like every thing sold in this world, you can be had. One actual case, then I'm over and out . . .customer wanted a certain color , it was $1100 gallon. Customer wasn't happy, nor was I. Totally too much , crazy. Same color, mixed in a lower line ( not as expensive pearls ) was about $360 I believe. Considerably less ( Don't remember exactly, mind going :). Out in the sun, we couldn't see $700 difference. So make your decisions and go from there. But again, $750-$1000 will usually do an entire car with typical paint colors.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Maybe the guys that just want a"driver quality" paint job are overlooking craigslist. I just had my 67 painted. The trunk lid needed a bunch work and I eliminated some trim so holes had to be filled. The body needed some sanding prep work but no dent or rust repair was needed. I paid $3500 for everything including the metallic base and clear coat and he also wet sanded and polished. AND this is in the worst state the world ( according to internet) California.

·
Dimples
3,424 Posts
These prices seem crazy to me. My barometer for this is admittedly out dated, but when I had my car painted in 2004, I got connected with a friend of a friend who was a one-man show (and maybe a meth head, not positive) who painted the whole car and did the flame job for $1,500.

I did all the prep myself and basically delivered it as disassembled as legally possible (ok, there was no way it was legal to drive it with no turn signals) and ready to spray.

I'm not necessarily advising this path, but it got me a result that I love for a great price and it's held up amazingly well since then.

My point is that beyond big collision centers or Maaco, there is a third option. Little shops that love old cars and just might have a substance abuse problem, lol.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Proof positive that a customer's money and taste are always right, even when one (or both) of them isn't. >:):wink:
Are you saying $22,000 spent on a 1974 javelin may not have been the best choice?:smile2:
The funniest thing I hear is when someone says I want a driver quality paint job. No you don't because once we start on the car every single person that has had their car painted wants everything fixed perfectly. Happens every time.

·
Registered
848 Posts
. $2000 a gallon and the customer bought 2 gallons. .

That's just flushing money down the toilet. But I guess they can tell everyone "Check out my paint job....you know, just the paint alone was $4K...". I'd be embarrassed to spend that much on 2 gallons of paint.

But if that what your client wanted, then give it to them I guess.

P

·
0 Posts
That's just flushing money down the toilet. But I guess they can tell everyone "Check out my paint job....you know, just the paint alone was $4K...". I'd be embarrassed to spend that much on 2 gallons of paint.

But if that what your client wanted, then give it to them I guess.
We are on the same page. I feel a happy customer is one that feels that got good deal. That doesn't happy with $4K in paint, not even close :) Look at the jeep I posted. That's a tri color and the mid coat flake flips. It was expensive, yes . . but how much do you need? Not much at all. How much is your painter saying he used and how much is he charging you? Those two answers can be far away from reality.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
The painter I found was so interested in my car, he quoted me only $3k to paint it. That includes about $1k for the Dupont Chroma paints (primer and top coat), block sanding and re-spraying the entire car with primer and top coat. As he is blocking the car he is finding that my body work is not to his standards, and from what I can see, he is correct as he has found most of my problem areas without me saying anything. So now he has to do extra body work. I agree with him and agreed to give him another $1k for the extra work. But, in the meantime, he needs to make money and that means doing insurance work, so my car sits a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just went to a paint supplier in my area and my color what I want any way is 525 a gal that's a high pearl Illusion Blue which is a Honda color anyhow that gallon turns into 2 gallons sprayable give or take mixed one to one did not know a car to take 4 gals to paint but I am no painter lol just a hack learning as I go.
I think by the time I was done clear and primer I was a little over a 1000.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I usually don't chime in on paint, simply because I'm no painter and would never claim to be. However, it appears to me (and any of the painters on the forum can feel free to correct me) that the major cost in a paint job is, wait for it, the PAINT!! I own a business in the petroleum equipment industry and have often thought about the money made on any given liquid (gas, diesel, etc.). Well, paint ranks WAY up there. As the OP stated, $1100 per gallon of paint (and that may very well be "cheap" paint).

Allen

$1100 is not cheap paint by any definition, it's paint from a huge corporation that buys out their competitors and ruins the formulations while maintaining their own at thousands of percent mark up. And they have to pay for those free booths they install for shops who sign long term contracts somehow, so everyone else gets to pay for it.

There are lots of small brands out there that make great quality bases at a fraction of what you get from PPG, DuPont, Sikkens, etc. I paid $85/quart for my Prospray Viper Blue base , which isn't a cheap color, but at the time Prospray was a good quality base (before they got bought out by either Valspar or Sherwin).

I sprayed some Automotive Art on my truck last year, that was pretty inexpensive too and also covered very well. Wanda is a Sikkens brand another quality paint for not a lot of money.

Of course the SPI bases are some of the best that you can get if they have a color you like.

And I wouldn't hesitate to use Urekem base on a car now after having some experience with it.

Some people wear the cost of their base as a badge of honor, as if they're proud they got ripped off paying over a $1000/gallon. It would be an embarrassing day for them if they park next to my car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If you are not a do-it-yourself guy/gal and/or in the business and have connections you simply MUST consider the likely fact that you can get upside down financially, especially on most coupes very quickly and even a fastback these daze given the prices for a rust-bucket - you may break even if you are really smart - considering all the money you already likely have and plan to have into the car. These daze for most carz I am looking at, I either buy one with a paint job I can live with or flip it before paint. Frankly most people don't know how much paint costs and there is an arbitrage there or money to be made.

There are just so few cars that can tolerate that kind of investment and if you search around in the archives there are several "how much do you have into your car" posts. The majority of the posts - people are seriously upside down (not unusual over $10K) experiencing a consolation prize of driving the car they have dreamed of completing. This can still be quite rewarding as long as you are not living with stink-eye from SWMBO. The good news is that time has a way of healing these wounds if you have a decade or two. I had a Harley I was even on but 10 years later doubled my money, however I sweated kids bicycles and basketballs for those 10 years...

What I have learned over the decades for the cars I keep is that you don't need a bitch'n paint job to have a blast driving a car and get complements. All you need (for muscle carz) is something presentable with a decent cam and exhaust tone to get attention unless you spend your weekends in a lawn chair amongst the elite classes of owners...

·
Registered
294 Posts
The painter I found was so interested in my car, he quoted me only $3k to paint it. That includes about $1k for the Dupont Chroma paints (primer and top coat), block sanding and re-spraying the entire car with primer and top coat. As he is blocking the car he is finding that my body work is not to his standards, and from what I can see, he is correct as he has found most of my problem areas without me saying anything. So now he has to do extra body work. I agree with him and agreed to give him another $1k for the extra work. But, in the meantime, he needs to make money and that means doing insurance work, so my car sits a lot.

This guy is being more than fair especially if he is supplying the paint materials. The last car I had painted, my 66 GT worked out like this. Bodyman charged $1500 to do the car. No crash damage, nos hood, fenders, deck lid. Painter charged $1000 to paint the car in pieces. I did all the priming, blocking and supplied all material. My brother used to be manager at dealership body shops and I still had a hard time getting the work done. Some painters are crazy on their prices. As with everything else, the most expensive part of a paint job is labor, not the cost of the paint...

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
It is not the "paint job" that cost so much money. It is the labor that is involved when you want it done right. Stripping the car to bare metal and fixing the rust issues, NOT laying bondo over the problem areas, removing the Hood,bumper,doors ,glass and general disassembly and assembly, Fitting all the panels and fixing the body gaps and doing the body work and all the masking. That is a lot of labor. Also factor in a minimum of $2000 for material with paint to do a Mustang the actual spraying of the car is cheap once its ready for paint and I mean actually ready for paint. I have seen so many cars that people say "its ready for paint" how much to just spray it then you tell them it will be another week or two of work done correctly before its ready for paint.

P

·
0 Posts
Very reasonable.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts