Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my son is coming of age, and although he hates old cars, it's just a matter of time before I need to add him to my insurance. Just wondering what that costs some of you? I'm sure I'm in for some sticker shock...

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
The cost will vary according to your location..when my son turned 16..we were living about 30 miles outside of New York City..it added over 3 grand a year to my policy ..oh did I mention that was 15 years ago..*LOL*

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
4, 6 or 8 cylinders, new or old, collisoin and comprehensive or liability only, where you live, occasional driver on somebody elses car or primary driver on his own....The cost will vary quit a bit but will be $$$$ compared to what you pay. Tell him to get a job.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Adding my daughter and replacement coverage on her '69 coupe added about $1500/year to my policy.

Adding my son and replacement coverage on his '65 coupe added another $2000/year.

Talk about sticker shock! My insurance almost tripled in one year. My daughter will be dropped to an occassional driver in August as she goes off to college. From what I hear, I have excellent rates with USAA. My total insurance bill is now $5000/year just for the cars (3 mustangs and a 4-Runner). I carry much more than the mininum required bodily injury, though. I can't wait to add the '69 sportsroof and pay some more /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif!

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
$500. a year for son, just for occasional driver and honor student and no tickets and liability only on a small 4 cyl car(which he "hates" btw, although it has auto/aircond/good gas milege/ didn't cost him a friggin dime/which he can barely afford to drive now with his "job" bussing tables at his aunt's restaurant). Just the basic teenage stuff.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Dont do it
put him up for adoption fast, maybe make a few bucks on the deal, buy some parts, and everyone will be happy again.
Have him call during the holidays to see how he's doin and to keep in touch.
Or....as i did..pay and pray that he makes it thru the teen years and all will be o.k.
Sorri, thats my 2 cents, now your on your own

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i got my lisence last december... it cost about $1200 a year for me to be a part time driver on my dads truck (97 dodge ram diesel... not fast or pretty) but the thing was, he has full coverage on his truck. when i got my car (1990 mazda protege, basicly a 4 door civic, 5 speed... cost me $1500) i became the primary driver on it, but i dont have full coverage on it. it now costs me about $1000 a year, and i am still covered on my dads truck... so in short, make sure he has his own pos that he can be primary driver on.. and make sure he has good grades, good student discount (have to maintain a 'b' adverage) saved me something like $200...

- jason

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just added my daughter (17), and with her the primary on the Mustang, just liabillity $500 a year more.

·
Registered
916 Posts
When I was added it was $355 every 6 months for me. That was only liability, and with good student discount and multiple car discount. I just found out the other week that after 2 years my rate is dropping to $288 every 6 months! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Full coverage for my 17 yr old son is 200 a month in Dallas. This is with his honor student and good driver discouts also.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It cost my parents 1600 extra a year to have me covered. However, that was with me being the Daily driver, plus collision, so it wasnt that bad of a deal. I think they believe the car is worth only 7k though, so i need to get that apprasel in . I head off to college in August, and im not allowed to Drive at Ga Tech fresh yr anyway, so that should lower it some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts