Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much can I expect for a good paint job, all the panels (fenders, door shells, hood, qtr panels and decklid are new)
I dont really need a show car paint job but would like quality..what kind of price range am I looking at?? do they also install the weatherstrip/molding and emblems?

thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I paid 5k for mine, he had to mount a fender and straighten out a little damage on the driver's quarter. Looks damn nice, for sure. He did put the trunk weatherstripping on, as well as drill out for and install all emblems. He probably would of done more, but I did not have the stuff handy at the time. However, that did include painting inside the engine compartment, both sides of the hood and trunk, as well as all door jambs. I have pics if they want to be seen, chose candy apple red.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I stripped my car to a shell and did all the body work myself. I delivered the car in pieces on a trailer. I asked that all of the block sanding be done and the car painted in BC / CC inside and outside including trunk, roof and floor pans with absolutely no overspray anywhere. He painted the stripes on and installed all of the emblems. This costed me less than $4000 and took about 4 weeks to do. I was very pleased with the work and even got a lifetime guarantee. I had to put the car back together and install the weatherstripping myself.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The person I bought my car from said he spent alittle over 8K. This included rolling the front fenders, molded the scope onto the original hood(flawless job), strips painted, molded in the rear splash panel to the rear quarters(seemless), under hood/trunk/jams all buffed, and numerous clear coats and hand rubbed out. He mentioned the pearl alone in the paint mix was $400. Hard to say if all the prices are correct...but the finish is show quality. It's what sold me on the car..

http://members.cox.net/gtofan/P7190002a.jpg

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Depends on how much of the prep you do yourself. Also very much depends on where you live. If your in Nor. Cal. I can give you the name of the guy I use.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
http://1968fastback.com/68fb11024.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Had a fair amount of cars done and I would offer the following

1. Prices do differ depending on what part of the country you are in

2. Your "good" job and mine (and likely your painter) can be very different ... sometimes allot Way too many stories for the space here

3. Generally I'm seeing $6,000-$10,000 (seen up to $20+K)

4. You often pay extra for a painters name or reputation. Best bargain can be a new up and coming painter that want to do great cars for advertising purpose- at least its an angle.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I doubt you can get anything done for less than $3500 unless you do some of the work yourself and even that will be an "El Cheapo" job.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My job, about 2 years ago, cost a little over $5k using Omni PPG paints. Included replacement of one quarter pannel and bumping out a couple of dents. The job included complete color change, bc/cc paint, color sanding and buffing. I stripped the car to bare metal before delivery. The painter installed the hood, trunk lid, doors and fenders. I installed the rest myself.

It was filler work for the painter so the 2 week time estimate turned into 7 months. Be sure to check out the saga of Midlife http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums...part=1&vc=1

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just had my car painted, top of the line Dupont, materials alone at cost was almost $1800 bucks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know a lot of folks will give me crap for this, but if you're looking for a budget option (i.e. less than $1500) and still want a very decent paint job, consider using an economy franchise place like Maaco. I spent $1000 for a base coat/clear coat paint job and got a very decent deal. My car is intended to be a daily driver, so I couldn't justify spending big coin for a higher quality job. Anyway, if you're interested, you can read about my experience and tips (and see how it turned out), check my site: http://groups.msn.com/DBsMustang/budgetpainttips.msnw

Hope this helps...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts