Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a prospective customer that has asked me about changing his drum-brake, 4-lug front end over to disc brakes and 5-lugs. For those of you who have done this conversion, how much did it cost in parts (new or salvage) and about how many hours did it take to do? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
Using a granada set up, used from the salvage yard ($150) with new rotors, calipers, hoses, etc. from Auto Zone ($225) and 8 hours of work (your $$), that is the "cheap" route. However, the rest of the steering needs to be changed out to match the new spindles, so that is another $300 for parts, including pitman arm, but then you have 5 lug hubs in the front, so that means new wheels, and then you would have 5 in front and 4 in back. So then, you are into changing out the rear end, drive shaft mods, . . . .

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
I think this is a little bit of a tough call. How much money is the customer willing to spend? You could do the SSBC, Granada, 67-73 Mustang or a kit such as Sacarebird and use GM calipers or what ever bargains come along.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
If the customer wants the five lugs all a round and the disc then it is very pricey becasue you are replacing the entire front end and the rear.

If they just want front disc brakes, Scarebird makes a conversion for the stock four lug spindle.

John Harvey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts