Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I decided to have my friends brother who owns an auto repair shop that does upholstery work put my TCI seat covers on. I supplied all new foam, TCI seat covers and all the hardware, along with 4 good original seats to work with. So the job was to recover 2 front seats and the fastback rear seats. I haven't picked them up yet and I will pay whatever he asks. He sent me pictures today and didn't say how much so now I'm waiting to hear back how much. When I dropped them off I was thinking it will be around $1,000. Am I in the ballpark? Just waiting to get the bill now!

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brad, how long ago did you pay that?

Is this post in the for sale section? Moderators can you move it to the general forum?
Thank you

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hi Brad, how long ago did you pay that?

Is this post in the for sale section? Moderators can you move it to the general forum?
Thank you
Probably 2 years ago. It is at a small dedicated upholstery shop here in town also. Same place that just put the top on my convertible. They do really nice work and are difficult to get time on their calendar, maybe making them a little more expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last winter I paid $300 for the installation on rear and fronts on my 69 fb. He did an ok job. Was told latter by another shop I got a good deal. He didn't smooth the parting seam on the foam on the drivers side. Said it would flatten out in time, it didn't.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I was quoted $500 and thats with me bringing them the seats.
this was 5 yrs ago

$1000 seem very excessive

I decided to do it myself. and i had no idea what i was doing. just took it one seat at a time

took a full weekend nice and easy when i got tired i stopped. 2 pizzas and a 24 pac b4 i was done

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just had a shop install TMI on my ‘66 bench seat. They had to create the foam because no one offers it. $860.
I’m doing the coupe rear seats my self they are nowhere as complex as the bench.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just heard that he wants $1350.00... cash! Now I haven't seen the work in person but that seems excessive. Another one of those lessons in life. Don't assume... anything!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, thats excessive. Even at the high rate of $100.00 per hour, there is no way it takes 13 1/2 hours to recover the seats. I spent last saturday replacing the foam cushions in my 2 buckets and it took me about 3 hours taking my time.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Unfortunately, he's got your seats and will hold onto them until you come up with the cash. If it's not a person you've done business with before, it's always a good idea to get an estimate in writing and an agreement that if they encounter anything that will significantly increase that amount, they must first get a verbal OK!
I had my front seats done a couple years back for $200 and a partial leather hide that I had on the shelf. I figure that it was a good deal for both of us. I did supply the new seat trims.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Analyzing the facts as presented, the questions that should have been discussed at the front end include:

- Was the initial scope of work discussion along the lines of a "Time and Materials" job or a "flat rate" job?

- Was there a meeting of the minds at the front end regarding what the scope of work would be?

- Did he need to repair and refinish the seat frames or front sliders?

- Did he supply any materials such as the burlap mesh and edge batting?

- Did he need to fabricate anything?

Notwithstanding the answers to the above questions, at this point I think it's a bit late to negotiate price without consequences. (i.e. potential impact on your friendship with the guy's brother)

At the end of the day, you appear to have agreed to a "cash" deal that I would guess is likely off the books, thus no documentation or compliance with work estimate rules, if any, in your state. It boils down to whether in your mind is the guy fair or is he taking advantage of you?

Keep in mind that you "assumed" he would be charging you $1000. The amount in controversy that you are objecting to is $350. While everyone needs to decide for themselves which battles they are willing to fight, I suggest you chalk it up to experience and move on. Your seats appear to be of very high quality, so at least you have something of value in exchange for your money.

If you choose to contest the charge, be prepared to represent yourself. No reputable lawyer I know would get in the middle of a $350 pi$$ing match. On the other had, if you have an ongoing relationship with an attorney who practices in the area of Business Law, Call him up and see what he says.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Analyzing the facts as presented, the questions that should have been discussed at the front end include:

- Was the initial scope of work discussion along the lines of a "Time and Materials" job or a "flat rate" job?

- Was there a meeting of the minds at the front end regarding what the scope of work would be?

- Did he need to repair and refinish the seat frames or front sliders?

- Did he supply any materials such as the burlap mesh and edge batting?

- Did he need to fabricate anything?

Notwithstanding the answers to the above questions, at this point I think it's a bit late to negotiate price without consequences. (i.e. potential impact on your friendship with the guy's brother)

At the end of the day, you appear to have agreed to a "cash" deal that I would guess is likely off the books, thus no documentation or compliance with work estimate rules, if any, in your state. It boils down to whether in your mind is the guy fair or is he taking advantage of you?

Keep in mind that you "assumed" he would be charging you $1000. The amount in controversy that you are objecting to is $350. While everyone needs to decide for themselves which battles they are willing to fight, I suggest you chalk it up to experience and move on. Your seats appear to be of very high quality, so at least you have something of value in exchange for your money.

If you choose to contest the charge, be prepared to represent yourself. No reputable lawyer I know would get in the middle of a $350 pi$$ing match. On the other had, if you have an ongoing relationship with an attorney who practices in the area of Business Law, Call him up and see what he says.
I estimated that the job should have been completed in no more than 10 hours, so that is how I came up with $1000.00. His brother is a really good friend and I'm not going to ruin our friendship over $350.00 and like you said I didn't ask for an estimate before the work was started. I will pay him the $1350.00. I was thinking I was being more than generous when I was expecting to pay $1000.00 now I feel like I was taken advantage of. That is why I'm asking what others have paid. I'm not looking to make a fuss over it. I was looking for some affirmation that the price was fair or out of line based on what others have paid.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Should have asked these questions BEFORE taking the seats to him.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I think you got charged *way more* than the job was worth. But given the "deal" that was made there is nothing to do about it.

Note: Given the "terms" of the deal it could have been a lot worse!

Never assume anything about a deal that is large enough for you to care about the outcome.

I've learned this lesson the hard way - unfortunately multiple times - meaning I guess I didn't really learn it well enough the first few times! ;-).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I did my front seats with a video from the internet. It took maybe two hours not counting any batting or foam. Maybe $40 in tools and supplies???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts