Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 289 with C4, and I just bought a motor/tranny out of a 68 cougar. It's a 302 with toploader 4 speed, and I'm wondering which, if any, of the drive shafts will fit in my 68 stang. Someone told me that the cougar has a slightly longer wheelbase... if this is true, I assume the driveshaft out of the cougar is too long, but will the shaft from my C4 work with the toploader?

Thanks!

Thespazardman

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Yep. When I did the swap, I used the driveshaft in my Mustang as-is. no changes whatsoever! What happened to the Cougar :(?

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The Cougar had a 109" wb while the Mustang wb was 108"

To the best of my knowledge the engine/tranny is a direct bolt in with the difference being the Cougar had a longer driveshaft. To put the combo in your Mustang you will need the Mustang driveshaft. I believe the driveshaft is the same for the C4 vs 4sp. In any case it is easy enough to check

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the motor/tranny from a guy who was parting it out. It has (at least) one dent in each panel, and has been fairly well stripped. Too bad, too, it was (is?) an XR7. He'll be getting an Eliminator soon that he's parting out. I'm hoping to snag the 9" locker :)

Thespazardman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts