Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone out there had the opportunity to see a 67-68 Mustang sporting the Cougar styled steel version wheels? If so how did they look? I have been waffling between the 15x7/15x8" versions of them & the Mustang Styled steels and 17" wheels. I have not seen a 15x8" Mustang Styled Steel wheel out there and I would really like a wider rim on the back, hence the reason I was looking a the Cougar wheels. Any suggestions out there or comments?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Think I posted this message on a wrong post, so will do it again. I had a set of those Cougar style wheels and I did NOT like them. Maybe it was just me, but I put 2 on a Mustang left side and took them right off! A friend found a buyer who had a 67 Cougar and he bought them. For the right "LOOK" get the right wheel. Different rim widths are available for a price.
I bought the Cougars for $75 for 4 with tires, thinking they'd look good. WRONG! Opinion.

Just looked at those pics and believe the Cougar ones that I had featured the "spokes" with no holes. They were like just the opposite of a Mustang style wheel. The holes were in the dark part.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hmmm.... Could be a reason why we haven't seen them on Mustangs? I like the Idea, though. I've never been that fond of the "Cut-out" style of spoke, offered on the Stock, sport wheels, and actually think the Cougar rims, are more to my liking, in judging a wheel, on it's personal merit. They might look a little sharper if the Argent was darker, and they had a pony emblem in the center. I'm curious how they'd look, too......

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
They are a sharp looking wheel. For me, every time I would look at it I would think about the fact it isn't the right wheel for the car.

When I bought this project car, it had 67/68 shelby ten spokes, which looked great on the car....but, it drove me crazy knowing it was the wrong wheel and sold them and bought some torque thrusts.

If you like it and can live with it, go for it, they are a great looking wheel.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
While it's not a '67/68, here's a pic of what they look like on a '65. I saw this car at the 45th in Birmingham. The only reason I took a photo of the car is specifically because of the wheels. It certainly stood out!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have never seen them in 4 lugs, as all the Cougars were V8's. I have not yet seen the repor 67 Styled STeels wheels in 15x8", so that was my curiousity with the Cougar wheels. Besides, I am getting ever so closer to having to pull the trigger and I am more undecided on wheels than I was 6 months ago. I guess that is what happens when you have to finally decide on the expense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts