Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 68 factory tachometer dash cluster to put in my convertible a couple of years ago. I have been looking for the required underdash harness to make it work. I have only found a couple of these harnesses and the prices were more than I can afford. I was wondering, would an underdash wiring harness from a 68 Cougar with a factory tach work in a Mustang?

Thanks,

-Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
The harness"could" work, By that i mean if you want to chase and modify all the Cougar-specific wiring in that harness. The big difference is in the turn-signal circuits.Mercury engineered that harness a lot heavier-duty than the Mustang one.There are extra wires to run the relay switching box in the trunk,,,different fuse box,,,relays,,,stuff you don't realize is there till you go to install it and "try" to get it to work.My advice is to keep that harness from Cougar,,,as they are really coming on strong now,Maybe in the future you will meet someone that wants to trade you for a mustang stlye harness.Remember,,,there are a LOT less Cougars out there than mustangs.I believe you have a desirable piece,,as long as it hasn't been cut up.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Matt, just wire the tach into the mustang ignition circuit. It goes in series between the ignition switch and the resistor wire. John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts