Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a tin of industrial galvanize that i had, and im wondering - while im repairing holes in my roof, could i galvanise areas where the rust was, and them primer + paint over them?!

Would it work? Would there be any chemical reactions?

I've heard though you have to leave galvanise for 6 months to let it 'work' before you paint it.

Anyone ever done it?

Gary

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
IIRC Ford had a problem with paint adhereing to their late 70's and early 80's trucks. They used galvanized panels and the paint wouldn't stick. I remember paint peeling from the cowl area on about every truck in that era.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,750 Posts
Yeah I own one of those trucks. I'm no expert but as far as I can tell paint doesn't "stick" well to smooth galvanized. On regular sheet metal you sand it to give it some "tooth" to help the paint stick. If you sand galvanized you pretty well ruin the rustproof properties of it. Self-etching primer might help.
Years ago a friend bought a Navy surplus auction International Scout. Just about everything on it was galvanized. A great big foot square patch of paint had flaked off one fender. He never bothered with it and drove it that way 10 years or more. It was kind of neat how there wasn't a speck of rust on it after at least 20 years of use.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
When I did some work on my house last year, I replaced a gutter downspout. At that time I was cautioned to not paint it for at least 6-12 months, or the paint would peel. They said galvanizing needs to "breathe off" for a while before it's OK to paint. Good luck - Dickson

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i think i'll leave it - im not going to drive around for six months while the galvanise sets itself hehe...

That would look rather odd...

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'd opt for Corroless/ Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood instead. DIckson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts