Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting a '67 steering wheel on my '68, just because it is available, and I like the looks of it better. It has been mentioned that the '67 wheel may be smaller in diameter than the '68, due to the later model's collapsable steering column.

Could someone with a '67 please measure the diameter, or the circumference, of their column, just where it meets the steering wheel, so I can reference it to my '68, please?

I don't have the '67 wheel, yet, and I don't want to buy one and then find out that it looks dumb sitting atop a much larger column.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Mark

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I installed a 67 deluxe wheel on my 69 and it is definitely smaller than my 69 column. I have to fashion some kind of plate to cover up the gap difference. Looks like a PO job right now.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to all that helped me out. I do appreciate it. The aftermarket wheel that is on there now has a cap that fits the column. I guess I will try to wire brush it clean (rust and pitting) and paint it to match the column. I hope the '67 wheel fits over it.

Thanks, again.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts