Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried. I used the same external mounted compressors I used to take the old ones off. There was no way they would fit into the shock tower with the two tighteners on each side of the coil. So I had to uncompress the coil. Took the car to my house and approached the auto body guy that lives next door. We tried again, tightened the spring, installed a special hook to hold the backside in place of the compressor. Removed the rear side compressor and left the front side on. The hook popped off the spring with a "copinnnnnng!!". I had my hand on the spring too. Nothing happened fortunately. The spring was all bent over towards the remaining compressor. If this reads confusing, it was. Simply put, the compresser I tried to use would not work no matter how they were oriented. I suppose a trip to the alignment shop is the safer, least frustrating alternative. They can install them this time.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You need to get an internal spring compressor....Summit sells them for about $30.00...I got one from Advance Auto Parts, on their free use deal...You pay for the tool, use it, then take it back, and they refund all your money.
You need to be VERY careful with those coil springs...They will take your head off, if they get a chance....When you get the right compressor, be sure they are lined up straight across from each other with the springs compress. If not, they will fly...Ask me how I know...Took about 3 weeks for full use of my hand returned.....
Use the right tool for the right job...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Dan, I use the external type as well, have for years. Do you have the shock tower "top plate" removed for access (the large "cap" held in by bolts to the shock tower and aprons, inside the wheelhouse)? I have never had problems with clearance, although I have had to pry down the UCA at times to clear the saddle. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My experience was exactly the same, without the spoing thing. Got the springs off with an external compressor but had to rent an internal compressor to install the springs. "Rented" one from autozone.

G

·
0 Posts
Rent an internal spring compressor from your local auto parts store, it's the only way to go !!!

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I don't see how you can do it with an external, but if guys here say it can be done, then it must be true.

I've done it twice with an internal. The second time I realized that I could remove the coil spring cover under the fender (big piece of sheetmetal, held on by 15 or so bolts), and that made life MUCH easier. Also, I found that assembling the compressor inside of the spring works best. Rather than rotating it all the way down.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i rented a compressor from autozone and it was too long to work properly when i tried to install my Canadian Mustang Big Kit springs. i then thew away uper jaaws and got a 1/4 inch plate and put it on top of shock housing and it worked well. your luckky to have that hand - i lost it twice but knew enought o keep hand sand bodu\y forward or rearward of wheel opening. PM me if you have any questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts