Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we travel across country by car, we play, "Count Vintage Mustangs", which includes only 1964-1/2 - 1973 models.

Last year on our trek from Houston, TX to Hot Springs, AR we counted more than 20 ...but this year, on the same route to Hot Springs, we counted only 3. Similarly, when we traveled from Houston to Destin, FL last month, we counted only 4.

We're including all Vintage Mustangs that are driven, parked, junked, etc.

Where have all the Mustangs gone?

wjj

G

·
0 Posts
In the garage, beeing restored, I hope. :)

Maybe poor weather kept them home? I have no idea how the weather has been down there lately.

I still see quite a few around here in the garden state. (NJ)

·
Registered
858 Posts
dude...come to the west...ull seeee PLENTY! lol for every camaro/firebird i see....i see 4 more mustangs...thats exactly why the maro/bird are OUT of the market haha...they have hardcore fans....but sales just suck well...ya know... ;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I agree recently drove from Arizona to Wisconsin and back only saw two Mustangs once I got out of AZ. They are driven as daily drivers here and always see 2-3 every day. Was really suprised not seeing more on the road East of the Mississippi Gary

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
geeeez......

on any day of the week, I can walk into my barn/back property and count 12 - and thats without driving anywhere!!! one word - attrition. as time goes on, there will be fewer and fewer seen - some sold to overseas buyers, some wrecked and still other restored for ONLY trailered concours duty. Its the nature of the hobby....

randy

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've been trying to tell you guys-gals the well is drying up at an exponential rate. Ten years ago classic Mustangs were a dime a dozen. Not today! Yes, you'll still see some around and some for sale. They are getting more rare by the day. If you want one get it now. If you want to restore one, restore it now. The longer you wait the more expensive it will become.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I see lots of them every day here in the SF Bay Area. I'm always amazed how many of these cars are still in daily driver service around here. Also lots of street driven restorations and restomods.

Madhatteroo, you've gotta lighten up on the Camaro bashing. It's basically us (the old car enthusiasts) against the world (the environmental lobby) here in CA and the more you alienate the bow tie guys the less cohesiveness exists. I realize this is a Mustang forum, but why bash the Chevys? It only weakens the hobby. BTW, I own a 00 Z28 and I think the car is flat amazing. LOTS more power than the contemporary Mustang GT and, IMHO, better looking. My basically stock A4 car with 2.73 gears and 36K miles on the clock turned a neat 13.44 @ 105.75 mph at Sacramento Raceway (I have the time slips). If I had 3.42's like the GT's I'd be pushing into the 12's. If you like cars you've got to like that kind of performance.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Here in the Northern rust belt, they often had rust though the 1/4s in as little as 3 years. Meaning junk yard in about 6. And back then, there were no U-pick yards, You dealt with the car kicker ('cause he liked Chevy's) behind the counter.
SUPPLY DRYING UP?? Good!! That means the prices on the coupes will start to go up too!

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
There's 3 on my block alone (including mine) and I see several being driven nearly every day around town.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I wonder this same thing all the time. Here in Houston you almost never see one. My theory is that a lot of them have been purchased by people who aren't "hands-on" owners and thus do not work on them. They finally get tired of paying for the constant maintenance and just let them sit in the garage. I know of several that are in this state - the carb starts leaking or the points get out of adjustment or the turn signals quit working and they (the owner) just give up.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
You guys have it all wrong.

Whizco has all of the California cars.
Epperstein has all of the rest of the western cars.
GRR has all of the midwest and eastern cars.

That's all she wrote, folks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts