Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had such an informative response to my transmission question that I am going to go ahead and ask this one at the risk of sounding foolish. Does anyone know of a coupe to convertible conversion kit? I thought I saw one in mustang monthly about 3-5 years ago. I have seen the hardtop conversion from mustangs plus but was wondering if anyone knew of a place that would perform these types of conversions with a convertible top? Thanks for all your help. This people using this site are great.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a friend(deceased) that did this swap. I can try to find his son to see if he knows where the kit came from. It worked really well. On '65-66's you don't have to fabricate anything, '67-68's there's a ittle sheet metal work to do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sorry to hear about your friends passing but I would be very grateful if you could obtain that information for me. The car is a 64 1/2 so the lack of additional fabrication sounds great. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Lack of fabrication?

Ford went to a lot of trouble installing extra structural supports to their convertibles so I would question the long term driveability of a car that has not been properly engineered during this kind of conversion. My guess is after the first railroad track you went over you wouldn't be able to open the doors without proper bracing underneath.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Just a thought, but first thing that comes to my head is do you really want to cut up a 64.5 car. Theres alot of them but how early a car do you want to cut up.

Just food for thought.

Mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I meant by lack of additional fabrication was what was mentioned earlier as being needed for the 67-68 model vs. 65-66. There is clearly a need to improve the structural integrity of a unibody mustang before removing the roof. I would be very foolish to attempt otherwise. Thank you for the reminder though, that would be a disaster to have to "dukes of hazzard," my way in and out of a car because the doors were pinched shut.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Try calling Glazier's Mustang Barn in PA. 800-523-6708 I believe they do a convertion. There are several frame pieces that have to be added to keep the car rigged.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
My guess is you're talking about the Mustang's Plus Ronster kit. It seems to get a lot of publicity.

As mentioned, the factory convertables went through a lot of structural modifications. Some of them you can duplicate or even upgrade. The reinforcement pans, for example, can likely be substituted by a TCP subframe connector kit 1&2 combo. In that TCP picture, you can see the huge differences between a convertable and coupe undercarriage. There are also other locations where reinforcements were done, such as under the hood, and on the inner rockers.

My TRUE recommendation, if you want a convertable, buy a convertable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts