Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have heard a few terms while doing some research that I'm not familiar with and wondering if you could shed some light foe me. I have five terms that I'd like to get the definitions or explanations on. The first three I have never heard and the last two I'm not too familiar with, though I have heard them before.

1. Hot tank
2. Shot peen
3. Shot blast
4. Balance
5. Blueprint

Sorry for the n00b questions. Thank you.

·
Registered
683 Posts
1. the process of soaking and cleaning heads and blocks in a "tank" of very "hot" caustic solution.

2. & 3. Different terms for the same thing. Small steel spheres sent at very high speed, in an air stream, to clean, resurface or stress relieve parts. Glass beads can be used to put a very nice satin finish on stainless steel.

4. Balance is just what it sounds like. The rotating parts in the lower end of your engine must be balanced so that high speed rotation doesn't cause vibration.

5. Blueprinting is a process where every critical measurement inside an engine is held within certain tolerances and documented. A high precision rebuild, if you will.

Hope this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually that helps a lot. Those definitions were awesome. Makes perfect sense to me now. Thank you very much.

I have one other question that I just thought of. Is there a term for having your car at an angle where the front is lower than the rear due to having a larger wheel/tire size in the rear? I thought that the term (if there is one) was either tubbed or raked, but from information that I have found on the net, neither of those seem to be the correct term.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
rake refers to the angle a car sits at
a car can have either a nose high rake where the front end is higher (stock mustang) or a rear rake where the back is higher because of spring changes, tires. lowered front, whatever...it gives the car a more perfomance look.

Tubbeb is when the rear sub frame has been narrowed, sheet metal changed, and the rear narrowed to allow extra wide slicks to in the wheel wells without sticking out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
tubbed generally means modifing the rear wheel wells to accept large tires. this modification can include altering the frame rails as well. drag cars are often 'tubbed'. if you look in the backseat or trunk area, it looks like 2 big washtubs.

i've heard 'rake' used to describe the stance of a car. which includes the front being lower than the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts