Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 66 coupe and am just getting my feet wet (pretty much a novice). First, is there any cure for a floppy outside mirror? The chrome and mirror are in very good shape, but it is pretty much useless when you keep looking at the road and drivers door out of it. Second, the 289 has an Edelbrock performer intake and 1405 carb with manual choke. The choke cable keeps sticking and I was going to replace it and the knob, which isn't mounted very well. Then I started wondering if it would be better to buy an electric choke kit for it or keep it manual. Any suggestions or opinions one way or the other? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I think I've learned more about cars in the last month from reading this forum than I had in my previous 29 years. I appreciate all of the knowledgeable people (and the not so knowledgeable too! :) ) who participate in this forum. I'm very glad I came across this site!

Chris
No picture, it is still too darn ugly...

Chris
<a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

·
Registered
127 Posts
My advise on the carb is to go with the electic choke, much better.I just put one on my 351, used to be a pain to start, not any more- first try now.

G

·
0 Posts
Time to remove the mirror, clean and reassemble.

"When you hear pounding hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." - Dr. Harold Slavkin, Dean USCSD

·
6,968 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with the previous poster. As a control freak, I'd rather have a manual choke. I don't have one now. I have the electric. I am considering converting to manual. I'd rather be able to set it where I want it, rather than have it governed by a rinky-dink electric heater. Just an opinion.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I have a loose passenger side mirror. A friend of mine suggested that I take a center punch and put divots in the ball to effectively make it bigger and thus take up the clearance. I did this, but it didn't really work for me. I only mention it because it may work for you.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=42994554.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts