Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 66 Conv. into the local Ford dealer to see if they could set the timing (part of the timing mechanism is missing), and to have them do a quick once over. They say I need a new carburetor, and "strut rods" to fix the loose steering. Okay, no problem. Got a rebuilt carb to put in this weekend. But nobody's ever heard of a "strut rod." I can find 'struts' 'tie rods' and 'strut rod bushings' but nothing called a 'strut rod.'

No laughing, remember I'm new at this. :eek:

So what I want to know is, what's a strut rod and where do I find one? And anything I need to know about the carburetor change, other than what's in the shop manual?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you have the 1966 shop/service manual, look on page 3-7 and it shows a picture of the strut. This is a steel rod that connects the front sub-frame to the outer end of the lower suspension control arm. There is one on the left front and right front lower suspension arm. The only wear parts are the bushings at the rod end where it attaches to the sub frame. I would be cautious in allowing any dealer to look and make recommendations on a classic car such as a 1966 Mustang. Dealerships don't get 1966 cars for service every day and there is probably no one working at the dealership who serviced these cars 30+ years ago.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Unless the strut rods are bent you don't need them but you no doubt do need the bushings. The assemblies keep the lower "A" arms firmly in position while still allowing some movement as the susupension 'works'. The originals are probably toast by now (hard and shrunk from age), letting the strut rods sort of move where they want to giving you sloppy steering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts