Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Probably someone's desperate attempt to keep the mouldings on.

·
Premium Member
13,214 Posts
I recall that in the front window frame on my '65 Fastback, about half way up on each side, there was a sheet metal screw with an un-threaded shank right below the head. The screw would go down into the hole until it reached the un-threaded portion and then it would stop, leaving the head of the screw about 1/8" above the metal window frame. Each piece of the side windshield trim had a horizontal U cut into it that would fit around the screw. This was obviously designed to properly align the trim piece vertically. I'm not going to pull the trim off to look but I'm sure I remember that. Maybe it was something that was done on the early cars (mine is a Sep, 1964 build) and was discontinued at some point. Look at the stainless trim and see if you have a U shaped notch in the side pieces.
As to your top hole, as 22GT said it is pretty obvious that somebody drilled a hole for a screw to hold the end of the trim down.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I’ve had a couple that had the screws in the upper corners as well. They were wide headed chrome as I recall

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is a 6/66 date and that top hole in the corner looks like factory as its punched not drilled. Ill take a look at my molding. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,785 Posts
My car is a 6/66 date and that top hole in the corner looks like factory as its punched not drilled.
Maybe it was punched after drilling to open it up a little more for whatever screw some PO used to hold the trim down.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
My car is a 6/66 date and that top hole in the corner looks like factory as its punched not drilled. Ill take a look at my molding. Thanks
I can punch holes that clean all day with an awl. That's my preferred method for console screws, drilling through carpet can ruin your whole day if you get a runner.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok then I’m going to check my moldings and weld the other ones up then..

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 65 had clips that were screwed in around front and rear windows to hold the trim.Thats what those appear to be,Ford later changed the way the trim was held on.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,354 Posts
My 65 had clips that were screwed in around front and rear windows to hold the trim.Thats what those appear to be,Ford later changed the way the trim was held on.
The same wit my 64 1/2 Coupe.

·
Premium Member
13,214 Posts
The same wit my 64 1/2 Coupe.
If you look at the very first photo that the OP posted you will see an upper hole in close to the pinchweld and another lower hole that is farther away from the pinchweld. The holes closest to the pinchweld are the ones that were used by the screws to hold the clips that retain the trim on the '64.5/'65.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I asked the same question about the hole half way up the A pillar on the Concoursmustang forum earlier this week. The answer was that on early cars there was a screw there that matched up to a notch on the molding. The screw was the same as used on the glove box door tether cable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts