Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed all the old insulation from bottem of the car and I'm now installing the thin rubber sound deadener. Do I need to go out and buy new insulation to install over the sound deadener? The carpet has some insulation on the bottem thats new, maybe two big pieces but it's not as thick as what used to be there, so do I need to go out and buy some insulation or am I fine? Should I glue the sound deadener to the metal of the car? and the carpet to the sound deadener?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
We just did our vert about 4 weeks ago. We used an aluminum backed insulation from Mustangs Plus, that was both a sound deadener and a heat shield. We glued that do the floor pans , then laid the stock black sound deadener mats over that, no need for glue, then installed the carpet. Then behind the door panels and interior quarter panels installed an adhesive sound deadener purchased from Circuit city. Now, my car is quieter and a lot cooler.

You could probably find a decent insulation at Home Depot or Lowes. Mine was only about 1/4 in. thick. Too much thicker would make installing the carpet a pain.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
search for 'be quiet' on eblah, i just got 100 sq ft of it to put underneath my carpet after reading a bunch of good reviews on it. the stuff you want is called 'extreme' and its about $120 for 100 sq ft, they sell a more expensive one called brown butter but that's more for stereos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts