Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Ive really enjoyed taking apart this car. I have learned a lot so far and its just begun..

tonight I have a few issues/questions, and thanks in advance for any help

1 - I removed the sound dampening material under the carpets to paint the floor boards, how do I glue the sound dampener back down to the new paint ? they seem oil based so not sure what type of glue would be best, figured spray adhesive but not sure.

2 i have a water leak by the passenger side firewall, it runs into floor board and caused rot, Im repairing the rot but I would like to fixe the leak since Im getting new carpets. is this a common leak spot, I had water on the old carpet when I washed the car for the first time and have not washed it since...

3 the driver seat is not parallel with the dash board. The passenger seat is perfect, the drivers seat seems skewed, i removed the seats hoping to understand why or how its crooked, but the bolts on the seat bottom seem to be in the correct position, is there any adjustment in the seat ?

4 The car came with a aftermarket CD player under the original AM radio, i want to get the old radio working again, I hope its still working. It has 4 wires coming out of the back of the unit. 2 black wires 1 yellow and 1 blue wire. I know one is ignition power and one is ground but not sure what is what.

Again thanks for any input

·
Registered
35,345 Posts
so Ive really enjoyed taking apart this car. I have learned a lot so far and its just begun..

tonight I have a few issues/questions, and thanks in advance for any help

1 - I removed the sound dampening material under the carpets to paint the floor boards, how do I glue the sound dampener back down to the new paint ? they seem oil based so not sure what type of glue would be best, figured spray adhesive but not sure.

2 i have a water leak by the passenger side firewall, it runs into floor board and caused rot, Im repairing the rot but I would like to fixe the leak since Im getting new carpets. is this a common leak spot, I had water on the old carpet when I washed the car for the first time and have not washed it since...

3 the driver seat is not parallel with the dash board. The passenger seat is perfect, the drivers seat seems skewed, i removed the seats hoping to understand why or how its crooked, but the bolts on the seat bottom seem to be in the correct position, is there any adjustment in the seat ?

4 The car came with a aftermarket CD player under the original AM radio, i want to get the old radio working again, I hope its still working. It has 4 wires coming out of the back of the unit. 2 black wires 1 yellow and 1 blue wire. I know one is ignition power and one is ground but not sure what is what.

Again thanks for any input

Let's see...

#1 - The original material under the carpet was a jute material and was not glued. Sounds like somebody has been there before you. If the material is still viable and you want to put it back in some 3M Super 77 should be fine.

#2 - It's probably coming in from the cowl, although it could be coming from the lower corner of the windshield. Probably not a bad idea to remove the heater box and inspect the cowl and surrounding area... a light shoved up inside will show you any pinholes. Besides, it's a good time to check that heater core and replace the heater hoses, isn't it?

#3 - Sounds like either the seat base is broken (or poorly repaired) or the tracks have gotten "out of sync" with their latching mechanism. Try flipping the seat and using the adjustment lever slide the tracks all the way toward the rear of the seat. Then find the one controlled by the wire and pull on the wire and see if it moves a bit further. When done, make sure the wire is properly tensioned... IIRC it is part of a spring... so that there isn't really any slack when you pull the adjustment handle but you want to make sure the latch isn't partially pulled, at rest. Make sense?

#4 - Radio wiring. Yellow with a Black tracer is your ignition switched power. Blue with a Red tracer is your dial illumination. The remaining 2 wires are your speaker.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's see...

#1 - The original material under the carpet was a jute material and was not glued. Sounds like somebody has been there before you. If the material is still viable and you want to put it back in some 3M Super 77 should be fine.

#2 - It's probably coming in from the cowl, although it could be coming from the lower corner of the windshield. Probably not a bad idea to remove the heater box and inspect the cowl and surrounding area... a light shoved up inside will show you any pinholes. Besides, it's a good time to check that heater core and replace the heater hoses, isn't it?

#3 - Sounds like either the seat base is broken (or poorly repaired) or the tracks have gotten "out of sync" with their latching mechanism. Try flipping the seat and using the adjustment lever slide the tracks all the way toward the rear of the seat. Then find the one controlled by the wire and pull on the wire and see if it moves a bit further. When done, make sure the wire is properly tensioned... IIRC it is part of a spring... so that there isn't really any slack when you pull the adjustment handle but you want to make sure the latch isn't partially pulled, at rest. Make sense?

#4 - Radio wiring. Yellow with a Black tracer is your ignition switched power. Blue with a Red tracer is your dial illumination. The remaining 2 wires are your speaker.

Hope this helps!
huge help thank you.

for the material under the carpet, its a thick tar like material, no fur or hair like material . one piece for each floor board and one for over the drivetrain area. is was sorta stuck to the old rusting paint. is this Jute ?

for the cowl and heating system, I actually was considering removing the heat system all together, I dont see using it much or at all, not sure if I want to rebuild the heat system, the engine is out of the car, I could plug the inlet and just eliminate the whole thing. how can I check to see if its the windshield first ? just pour water on the corner and look under the dash I assume..

seat , still confused but I will look it over and try to adjust... whats IIRC ?

radio, this is huge, thanks

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Ditto on Woodchuck. Two ways to apply the 3M spray glue: spray and stick it while it's wet, or (the way it's designed) spray both surfaces, let it dry, then stick them together... but make sure it's in the right position before you stick it. If there's a sign shop nearby, ask them if they have any backing paper from vinyl. It's a "throw away" item. You can spray the surfaces, let them dry, put the backing paper over the liner with about 1" of bare edge, line it up, and apply the liner as you slowly remove the backing paper... I wish I had a video.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ditto on Woodchuck. Two ways to apply the 3M spray glue: spray and stick it while it's wet, or (the way it's designed) spray both surfaces, let it dry, then stick them together... but make sure it's in the right position before you stick it. If there's a sign shop nearby, ask them if they have any backing paper from vinyl. It's a "throw away" item. You can spray the surfaces, let them dry, put the backing paper over the liner with about 1" of bare edge, line it up, and apply the liner as you slowly remove the backing paper... I wish I had a video.
I understand. they are small pieces I think itll work
Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's see...

Hope this helps!
would you know where I would connect the illumination wire under the dash ?

is there a ground ? or is the ground the rear connection point ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The illumination wire plugs in to the blue/red circuit. Look around under the dash, you'll find a few extras hanging around. There should be one in the vicinity of the radio (it might be a double plug) and just plug it in. Looking at the diagram it might be a double plug teamed up with the power line.

The blue/red wires control all the dash lights so that they all dim together.

When you're looking at your floor leak keep an eye on your antenna wire. It's possible for water to drip down the wire and through the grommet if it's old and it'll leak onto the passenger floor just like the cowl or the heater core.

·
Registered
35,295 Posts
for the material under the carpet, its a thick tar like material, no fur or hair like material . one piece for each floor board and one for over the drivetrain area. is was sorta stuck to the old rusting paint. is this Jute ?
No. Jute is a chopped-felt-like material. What you have is the thick tar paper backing from that material. Someone has peeled off the 1/2" thick jute and discarded that. Common practice for people who wanted to hear their loud exhaust even better,

for the cowl and heating system, I actually was considering removing the heat system all together, I dont see using it much or at all, not sure if I want to rebuild the heat system, the engine is out of the car, I could plug the inlet and just eliminate the whole thing. how can I check to see if its the windshield first ? just pour water on the corner and look under the dash I assume.
It is quite easy and inexpensive to rebuild the heater system. Also worth noting it is a bad idea to have no windshield defogger. Your water leak problem is the cowl, not the heater.

seat , still confused but I will look it over and try to adjust... whats IIRC ?
Texting for If I Remember Correctly

I have peeled back the upholstery on many driver's seats to reweld the frame. An easy fix if you can weld.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts