Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you and your job essential in regard to the current COVID19 pandemic, how and why?

This isn’t a thread about COVID19 and your thoughts, only your essential job and what you do, I’ll lock this is a heartbeat,....

Here in Louisiana, the governor issued a stay at home order effective this evening at 5:00 for all non essential workers.

We’re in the food, beverage, pharmaceutical manufacturing industry right outside New Orleans. We sell equipment and supplies to manufacturing plants; soft drinks, bread, dairy, poultry, beef. I’ll be coming in for work.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I'm a research scientist in infectious diseases for an animal health pharma. We're definitely continuing to work but trying to be flexible in case we need to pitch in to the effort.

As of today Michigan has issued a stay at home order too.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
I am retired. That is essentially it for me.

My one son is a heavy vehicle mechanic. His last day will be tomorrow.
My other son is a research chemist / Director of Science for water filtration systems using ion exchange. He will be working part time and from home. His company is small.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Chemical plant Power House Operator:
Responsible for everything that could be considered a utility, ie. steam production , chlorinated water ( used in sinks and drinking water, and safety showers inside the plant), raw water( used for process cooling), fire water systems (fire fighting) at a chemical plant that is running double production, trying to keep up with the manufacture of an ingredient that is used in hand sanitizer, soft drinks, and food preservation. They say my unit is absolutely necessary, and could not be shut down until the very last. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Law enforcement.
As a Deputy Sheriff, we do it all.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I am an automotive mechanic pretending to be a diesel mechanic for the school district. After 14 years they still have not figured out I know nothing about diesels. They sent home 3 mechanics due to their age over this and I am now the senior mechanic in charge by default. lol The district has shut down for at least 6 weeks but still has all the trades working as well as using some buses to feed kids in various neighborhoods so the mechanics are still working to support them.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
I do IT support for a government agency. Last week everyone with the exception of "Mission Essential" was directed to work from home. I ended up on the Mission Essential list. I work in a gigantic building in a remote area where there are now a tiny few us. When walking around the building, I feel like Chris Pratt in the movie "Passengers". I have to pack in all my own food because the building cafeteria, store and coffee shop are closed. It's all very weird.

Mrs. Klutch works at a bank so she is also considered essential. The bank has closed the lobby and only the drive-through is open.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
They started closing the producer’s 44 shows worldwide about two weeks ago. The show in Hangzhou has been closed since late Jan, they’ll re-open in a couple of weeks. We were shut down just over a week ago. Mid to late May is our estimated return. The big resort operators have told the shows to be ready for that timeline.

The hospitality, restaurant, convention and entertainment business has tanked. Convention season ends in May, it won’t be back until the fall at the earliest. It’s estimated a couple of billion in revenue and a few hundred thousand have already lost or will be without jobs. I took the Mustang downtown and down the Strip today. No one but cops and some construction workers were out. Everything was shut. The state and county have been pretty proactive. We’re about 240 infected and 4 dead at this point. I’m sure we’ll add more to both totals but so far it could have been much worse.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Commodity Manager for Navistar:
I manage steel, copper and aluminum commodities which are used in manufacturing engines, transmissions, axles, brakes and so-on for semi trucks. The government considers us essential. Chicago is in lock down right now and the company is supporting a voluntary quarantine but we're still building trucks as long as we can get materials. I must say working from home is a PITA.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I am a pharmacist. Only work part time now and don't have a lot shifts for next few weeks. But if someone calls in I will got to work. If any of you are going into a pharmacy, please be nice to them there. People are treating the technicians really badly. I tell the people to chill out and such but a lot of other RPh are chickenshit and let people treat their techs like crap

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Civil Engineer. Small company, currently working from home. We have quite a few clients, but one of our larger ones put their projects on hold last week and another put 3 new ones on hold today.

My wife is a veterinarian, supposedly her job is considered essential.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Indiana issued a Swiss Cheese type of stay in place order today. Restrictions with as many loopholes. Basically gov workers get to stay at home and if that helps I'm fine with it. I'm in what's considered an essential business in Indiana, building trades. But not really. I have never seen so many old toothless cabinet makers wash their hands and hopefully other places in the last couple of weeks. I can tell by the residual suds in the sink and the fact that the water coming from a water heater a hundred or more yards away is actually hot! A possible silver lining moving forward!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
My son and I both work for O’Reilly auto ...have to keep vehicles functioning
Wife works as caregiver
Daughter works for Safeway .

·
Administrator
13,016 Posts
I'm a high school teacher and we've gone completely with long distance learning. Kids are on iPads and it's actually working great. Bit of a learning curve for us old guys but it's a great challenge.

·
Registered
113 Posts
30 year UPS package car driver here... Obviously a lot of pkgs for hospitals, pharmacies, nursing homes, but also a lot of home deliveries of medicine and home health products. Now with everyone staying home, there’s a lot of people ordering more household items on line. I can’t count the number of cases of TP, paper towels, wipes and cases of water I’ve delivered the past couple weeks. If I could have charged a roll per case, I’d be set for a year..lol. Also a lot of pkgs with stuff to keep the kids busy.

It’s been nuts, not only with the increased volume, but trying to warehouse all the pkgs for the schools and businesses that suddenly closed. We have two guys self Quarantine now, and we ‘re all doing our best to avoid catching or transmitting Covid 19, working with customers to avoid contact, not allowing anyone to sign on the diad, and wiping down the pkg car, hand trucks, and diad every chance we get.

Glad to be able to help keep the supply change moving. My wife is nervous, as her work, Broadway, is dark right now and worried about when it will open again.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
My wife is nervous, as her work, Broadway, is dark right now and worried about when it will open again.
We have a great deal of crossover with Broadway. Many are from there or their spouses/partners are touring or on shows in NYC. We’re hearing probably fall for the Great White Way, the shows that return anyway. Looks like nothing that’s a big, new show will mount until early next year. It looks to be even worse for tours. We’re fortunate in that our shows are partnerships with large resort companies. Theater isn’t the only one getting decimated. Touring concerts, themed entertainment, convention and meetings, film and TV and sports broadcast are getting whupped. Wish I had better news.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts