Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
I'd put that cowl reinforcement plate in a vice and whack it with a BFH until it sat right. Okay, maybe instead I'd score along the crease and bend it to fit that way. Then run a bead weld the length of the score.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Mine was opposite, too much bend. Again, adjust with BFH. Yours looks like someone already applied the remedy and then returned it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm happy to see this thread since my brand new NPD brace doesn't fit my 67, it doesn't have enough bend. I always thought maybe the part number sticker got stuck onto a 65 piece. I guess I just need a BFH and a vice! I thought maybe I was maybe placing it in the wrong spot. So it definitely goes on TOP of the cowl? Does it always get welded on or just bolted down with the export brace bolts?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
If you do not wish to weld, or glue, then a piece of flat with the holes in the right spots can be used underneath as a load spreader. It's just a giant washer in the grand scheme of things. Unless you are all out racing this thing, and probably even if you are, that method is plenty strong enough and will not move after proper torquing. The weak spot becomes the flex in the cowl box as a structural member which is surprisingly strong. And for the record I still think a Monte Carlo bar doesn't do a darned thing except add weight and get in the way.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I made one at a right angle - 1/8" angle iron and flipped it upside down bolting it to the bottom of the flange up against the firewall. I then bolted it with three of the same size bolts to the firewall with a 1/8" plate on the inside and torqued the crap out of the bolts. I didn't want anything visible, didn't want to disturb the paint inside teh cowl with weld heat and worried about starting a fire in my original jute / cardboard interior...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts