Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may have been beat to death but, Anyone actually get one that fits well?? I do see NPD says there’s actually fits. Anyone have any positive to say about it??

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have an extra genuine '66 GT350 brace , (equal spaced holes) for sale $200 + shipping from So Cal. Virginia Classic Mustang should have one also + the angled piece that should be welded to the cowl first.
Randy

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
How long would it take to massage an ill fitting one to fit? Twenty minutes including putting the tools away?

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you are referring to the export brace the Scott drake one fits well and has the deep bends in it. It's under $60 at Summit. When you put it on the car and the shock towers don't line up it isn't the part it;s your car that is wrong. This is the one sheet metal part for mustangs that is correct. Use a portapower of hydraulic jack or whatever to spread the towers out.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are referring to the export brace the Scott drake one fits well and has the deep bends in it. It's under $60 at Summit. When you put it on the car and the shock towers don't line up it isn't the part it;s your car that is wrong. This is the one sheet metal part for mustangs that is correct. Use a portapower of hydraulic jack or whatever to spread the towers out.

Cowl Brace not the export brace that fits like a glove...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd add pics, but Tapatalk is playing games with "subscriptions" as soon as pics are tried to be added.

I think you are referring to the export brace, they can be straight forward like on mine, or a bear to install like on another I have done.

There are many threads on here with how others have overcome alignment.. (particularly at the shock towers).. usually solved by jacking from the lower crossmember and allowing the towers to spread..or using hydraulic power to help

The fitment at the firewall is usually not bad, but can involve some "massaging" of the holes..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
On my 67, I also tried to fit an NPD cowl brace. It needed to be put into a vise and persuaded with a BFH to match the angle between two surfaces. The lower surface also needed to be notched on both sides because of the upward curved flange at the two outside edges on the cowl (the top cowl layer has a 90 degree upturn to channel water). Once I peformed both these "adjustments" the four holes on the cowl brace were probably 1/8" to 3/16" too far forward on the brace. That's a lot of adjustments to make it fit an original cowl. Once I have the cowl welded in, I might adjust the holes in the brace by grinding one side and welding the other side, then grinding it some more.

I'm still not convinced I want to weld this brace on due to the look of the thing but I probably will.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I installed the export brace on my 65 I affixed it at the cowl then at the passenger side, the car was sitting on four jack stands mind you, I had to take a piece of metal using the shock hole to pry the driver side forward in order to install the bolts. When I had all the bolts in, the car had come off the driver side rear jack stand by a good 3/4". I shimmed it and checked if front to back was parallel, they were so that's when I welded in the torque boxes. When I took it off for painting the car didn't move back to the original position and will much easier to reinstall.

I think that with enough leverage you can get a good fit regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
That's a big piece of angle you got there. The standard piece looks like this and has a little curve in it:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK sorry This is the piece Im talking about..This is an old picture and I got it to fit better its just the holes don’t line up..

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,681 Posts
I knew that's what you were talking about but as 22 pointed out the correct name of the part. I had to buy a couple to get the correct one. Here is a side by side comparison. The 1st one I bought was not even close to fitting, the 2nd that came from NPD laid in the cowl very nicely but was high on the back. Just required a bit of trimming to work.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
762 Posts
On the original cowl wasn’t that built into it? When I bought my replacement those holes are on there? Do you need that and the brace y’all are talking about?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts