Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm having some problems with water leaking from my cowl into the interior compartments and i think an easy fix would just be sealing it off with the cover they make for it. Would that do the job?

HOWEVER, doens't the heater draw air from the cowl? i if i seal it off how will the heater draw air?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
only a temporary fix, personally i think those covers look like hell anyway, and everyony will know why you have one on there lol.

fix it right once

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got one thinking that my cowl was leaking but it ended up being my windshield seal. Check into that one first. Also I only used mine on the threat of rainy days and the car was usually parked in the driveway.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you can't afford to fix it permanently then put one on so that it wont get worse. I did this eighteen years ago and that saved mine from more damage. Now I'm restoring the hole car and this is finally getting fixed correctly

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If it's just your cowl leaking, the covers work great. I like the flat magnetic ones the best. I drove a '69 all winter with a cowl cover on it and the heater still seemed to work as well as with the cover off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are water drains on the sides of the cowl behind the fender. The heater will get air from this point.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I use one in the rainy season, but I'm thinking my leak is from the windshield gasket. In any case, I bought it, and continue to use it, because it might help slow down the rust that is bound to form sooner or later.

As for your heater question: yes, the heater will still work provided the fan/blower-motor is on. If you haven't noticed already, you can get a fair amount of air flow with the "vents" open, but while the fan is off. This airflow essentially stops if you've got a cowl cover on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts