Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a cowl assembly for my 66 convertible from CJPP. I noticed there is an indented section on drivers side
7C3FB391-47B3-4F21-83D3-2401E5B4CC3A.jpeg
73DFE9C0-4AA2-4341-B312-D3E032C11CE8.jpeg
7C3FB391-47B3-4F21-83D3-2401E5B4CC3A.jpeg
on my old lower cowl with 2 screw holes that is missing from my new lower cowl. Not sure what this is for and why it’s missing from the new cowl. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. Thanks. I’m surprised they just omitted that from the new lower cowl I bought.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's very odd. I replaced my cowl a few years ago, and the mounting holes and "nuts" were a part of the new cowl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve looked around at some other replacement cowls but all appear to be the same without these holes. I was going to return this one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just looked on my 65 coupe from San Jose. There are two nuts in lower cowl. Approximately in the first section of cowl intake on drivers side. It is for 2 of 4 attachment points for the wiper motor. The two lower ones are on brackets and are inside attached to underside of lower cowl.

Thanks, I learned something today.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I looked at National Parts Depot, it appears to be made correctly for lower section. You can see all four attachment points for wiper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. It appears that instead of making holes in the cowl they tacked a bracket on underneath instead. Why not just keep it the same? Crazy!

·
Registered
328 Posts
My guess would be to reduce water ingress. If water gets that high, you have issues. So it would be another place to look for leaks if you have original setup. I never knew it until now.

Kinda wonder if they also used the indent to strengthen the cowl section. I’ve seen simple “L” brackets with a indent on bend to strengthen the bracket.

An example would be like the support brackets Ford uses for a/c condensers.

Probably more important for the concours group or original restorations.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
My understanding is the lower cowl they sell separately is actually a 67 stamping, but will fit the other years with slight modifications as you are finding. I believe the upper and lower cowl set may uses a slightly different stamping that is correct for a 65.

Here is the lower cowl from the set I bought.

And here is a pic of an original 65 cowl and the repro, lower the sell separately

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Flade is yours from CJPP?
Just wondering, for future reference for me.
Thanks
Both the complete cowl set and the bottom only pieces were from NPD. Note that the complete set is correct for a 65. The wiper holes are not technically correct for a 66. In 65 Ford used chrome screw on inserts for the wipers. They were eliminated in 66 and the cowl changed slightly. The 66 cowl is not currently reproduced.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Mine
I looked at National Parts Depot, it appears to be made correctly for lower section. You can see all four attachment points for wiper. View attachment 745034
Mine fit really well but had to be trimmed all around because the edges are longer on 67 then 65/66. I also had to redrill 2 holes for the wiper motor mount because the 67 spacing is a little different. Over it was one of the best repro metal panels I have used.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Both the complete cowl set and the bottom only pieces were from NPD. Note that the complete set is correct for a 65. The wiper holes are not technically correct for a 66. In 65 Ford used chrome screw on inserts for the wipers. They were eliminated in 66 and the cowl changed slightly. The 66 cowl is not currently reproduced.
I didn’t know that. Thanks

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Here is a 65 cowl. The cowl hole is flat to allow the chrome trim nut to be installed.

Here is a 66 cowl. If you look closely you can see it has a raised ridge to fit closer to the wiper

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Thanks. It appears that instead of making holes in the cowl they tacked a bracket on underneath instead. Why not just keep it the same? Crazy!
That's the way they originally did it, with separate brackets, later models were simplified. Is this the original cowl, or possibly an old restoration ? Maybe late 66's got the '67 style cowl with the indentation ?

My guess would be to reduce water ingress. If water gets that high, you have issues. So it would be another place to look for leaks if you have original setup. I never knew it until now.

Kinda wonder if they also used the indent to strengthen the cowl section. I’ve seen simple “L” brackets with a indent on bend to strengthen the bracket.
I would bet the only reason was to simplify production and save money. No need to mate 2 separate pieces. I don't see any improvement as far as water ingress.

My understanding is the lower cowl they sell separately is actually a 67 stamping, but will fit the other years with slight modifications as you are finding. I believe the upper and lower cowl set may uses a slightly different stamping that is correct for a 65.
My original '65 is the same, with the "underslung" brackets and no indentation.

EDIT: my first successful multi-quote with the new site !

·
Registered
328 Posts
My Jul 65 has indent in lower section, upper section is 66 style.

It doesn’t surprise me though, I have the 66 emergency brake cable with the horseshoe equalizer.

I learned something new today...again!😁

1 - 19 of 19 Posts